Aug 04, 2004, 14:52
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.bending/index.html

G
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Ahead of their time / SPARKS
Aug 04, 2004, 15:07
I saw Sparks at the Meltdown festival at the RFH. "Kimono My House" still sounds ahead of its time now!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

An ignoramus writes...
Aug 04, 2004, 15:33
Agree with you completely re. Cluster and Harmonia, but what's polymetricity?
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Polymetricity.
Aug 04, 2004, 16:14
I just meant that there are tunes on "Zuckerzeit" which employ several meters simultaneously. For example, in one of Moebius' contributions near the end of the album, two melodies play even (quarter?) notes, but one repeats every six notes, the other every seven. Other tracks play three against four, which is a bit more traditional; but still, modern electronica I tend to hear, even jungle, uses just 4/4 time, maybe broken into sixteenth notes but not with any prevailing patterns that are, say, 12 beats long.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Polymetricity.
Aug 04, 2004, 16:18
also know as polyrhythms.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 16:28
Actually, there is a technical difference between the two:

http://www.informationblast.com/Polyrhythm.html
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 16:30
So you could have a melody in 3/4 time and another in 4/4 time. Four bars of the 3/4 would fit in 3 bars of the 4/4 . So the only time the bars of the two different time signatures would start and end in the same place will be after 3 bars of 4/4 or on the otherhand 4 bars of 3/4.

It can be a really good sound and gives stuff an almost out of sync sound though the tempo is the same and the patterns do sometimes start and end in the same place. I think acts like Autechre used it a lot for hard to define abstract rhythms. Also if I remember rightly they used to use Notator for the old Atari ST which lent itself to layering loops of different time signatures much better than Cubase (where you would have to cut and copy the different blocks around on the editor so you would have a start and end point to cycle - where as Notator could automatically cycle stuff until it fitted).
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 16:32
thanks for the finer detail.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 16:33
What Autechre do you recommend? Anybody else who prominently uses polyrhythms or polymetricity?
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Aug 04, 2004, 16:44
There was a track on the anti ep which came out about the time of the criminal justice bill and it was deliberately programmed so no bar was technically a repetition of the previous bars, though the song did have a loop sound to it. I think they wanted to program something as a swipe at the repetive beats part of the CJB. I think the ep had something written on it on the lines of 'if you play this track loud, make sure you have a lawyer handy'.

There is a Sting album that apparently has lots of polyrhythms, so I was once told, but I doubt you would want to get that.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index