Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: Ahead of their time
Jul 29, 2004, 18:17
A list of candidates:

Metal Machine Music, Lou Reed (the ultimate feedback LP pre-Throbbing Gristle, Sonic Youth, MBV, Spacemen 3 et al)

Nail, Scraping Foetus off the Wheel (an industrial classic milked by NIN and Marilyn Manson)

Secondhand Daylight, Magazine (post-Bowie/Eno prog - the sound that Radiohead would become gods using)

Twitch, Ministry (the Adrian Sherwood dub-industrial collision that Trent Reznor would turn into bestseller Pretty Hate Machine)

Dirk Wears White Sox, Adam & the Ants (just reissued, many have noted that current hip things Franz Ferdinand owe this a debt...)

Movies, Holger Czuckay (this & Peak/Normal and his work on Sylvian's Brilliant Trees are proto-sampling & as influential/revolutionary as several Cabaret Voltaire records....)

The Scream, Siouxsie & the Banshees (probably the first serious post-punk LP)

A Wizard A True Star, Todd Rundgren (way-out LP that predicts most styles of music in the following decades)

LC, Durutti Column (I always saw this as a precursor to much math-rock/post-rock/whatever it's called this week)

Fire of Love, The Gun Club/Hallowed Ground, Violent Femmes/Songs the Lord Taught Us, The Cramps- all of these beat the good (Royal Trux), the bad (White Stripes) & the ugly (The Von Bondies) & more hyped acts in the last few years. I think The Gun Club also preceded The Pixies with those vocals & subjects...

more later...
Beebon
1375 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 19:23
First that comes to mind to me is Joe Meek. Just in general he was far far ahead of his time! Check out "Joe Meek and the Blue Mean - I Hear A New World" which was released as an EP in 1960, only 100 copies were pressed and was originally intended as a stereo test record. Yes, it does sound dated now, but for it's time it was soooo far out!
He also produced "Johnny Remember Me" (1961), "Night of The Vampire" (first single ever to be banned in the UK... deemed unsuitable for those of a weak disposition!) and "Till The Following Night" by Screaming Lord Such which has completely proto Iggy vocals!! (also 1961).

Some others: -

Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk (1966) (check out Dropout Boogie!)

Ummmmmmm, actually that is all i can think of for now......
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 20:20
Luigi Russolo!!! ;-)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

oops.....
Jul 29, 2004, 20:22
http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/machines/futurist/
lordsitar
257 posts

Re: oops.....
Jul 29, 2004, 22:20
facinating stuff

do you know if there are any recordings of the sounds?
lordsitar
257 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 22:22
i fuggin hate metal machine music

wasnt it an atempt to get out of his record contract rather than a serious effort at avant garde music?
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: oops.....
Jul 29, 2004, 22:23
LS

Hello! ;-) I don't think there are, but seem to remember reading taht someone once reconstructed some of his 'instruments' - those pictures of the concerts are great - people must have shat themselves!
Harry Lime
Harry Lime
21 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 22:28
Beebon..The Edgar Broughton Band did a version...they called theirs...'Apache Dropout.'.its on their bestof..you'll like it!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Jul 29, 2004, 23:02
I'll second Popel Vooje's suggestion of early Tangerine Dream - 'Alpha Centauri' and 'Zeit' sound like the most ambient of house fifteen years early, and 'Phaedra', 'Rubycon' and 'Ricochet' (a classic triumvirate to my ears) must've been a massive influence on Georgio Moroder in their innovative use of sequencers.

I remember hearing 'Movements Of A Visionary' from 'Phaedra' on Top Gear in early '74 - the first Tangs I'd yet heard - and thinking that this was music totally unlike anything else I'd heard before. I still think that.

But the definitive original record - not only ahead of its time but absolutely timeless - is Robert Wyatt's 'Rock Bottom', only 7 Virgin albums on from 'Phaedra' as far its catalogue number was concerned*. Try to relate any one of its six unique tracks to anything else you've heard before. I swear I can't.

(* Hats off to Virgin in its earliest years: no other British rock label was adventurous enough to sign a roster of bands and artists as diverse and individual as Tangerine Dream, Gong, Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt, Faust, Hatfield and the North, Lol Coxhill, Beefheart, Slapp Happy and Klaus Schultze. Then they signed shite like Supercharge and Yellow Dog and it all went sour until the Pistols.)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Yeah!
Jul 30, 2004, 00:15
Remember that A5 size Virgin catalogue ?!

I remember leafing through that looking at all those glorious album covers by everyone you mentioned -while Mike Yarwood did naff impressions on the TV! ;-D
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index