Ahead of their time

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Chrome worship
Jul 30, 2004, 19:00
Chrome to me is the very essence of "cyberpunk." Except they recorded their best albums in the late 70's, and the term wasn't coined until at least 10 years later . . . they don't use computers and aren't thought of as "electronic" (tho their 80's albums got closer to that) but there is something very tech-y about Chrome. A punk Kraftwerk with guitars?

And their first album was 1976, so they were even ahead of the "punk" curve. Not that they were ever punk in the "fashion" sense (following the crowd) -- but they have some of that ur-skank Stoogerock that Rocket from the Tombs also had. But they sang about robots and fucked with the tapes a lot.

"Half Machine Lip Moves" (c. 1978) -- total classic.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Ahead of their time
Jul 30, 2004, 19:04
moondog was kind of timeless wasn't he?
plus the Gene VIncent take on Summertime always reminded me of CAn though the vdrumming was very different.
There's a pretty chaotic take on Train Kept A rolling by a band called THe Chosen FEw that I've got on earsplitting punk that's really anachronistic too.
Is it pre-Stooges members or sumfin?
Stevo
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 30, 2004, 19:12
Some other early rockers that seem too angry or aggressive or whatever for their time . . .

"Louie Louie" by the Sonics (recorded about 1965, sounds like early Black Flag!)

"Who Do You Love" by Ronnie Hawkins (teenage Robbie Robertson lead guitar -- a nutty sexy maniac deathtrip record.)

Just about everything Link Wray did out in the shed behind his house ("Rumble", "The Ripper", "Chicken Run" ad infinitum!)

"Miserlou" by Dick Dale -- that tune best known from the beginning of "Pulp Fiction" is still one of the greatest rock guitar numbers ever. I've seen this guy live, and he's like fuckin Jimi Hendrix (in fact I'm sure he was a big influence on Jimi -- both played left handed & upside-down -- also Dale was notorious for blowing up many amps with his insane volume and distortion requirements. I'm sure Jimi knew all about that guy.)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jul 30, 2004, 20:19
And if we're talking proto-punk aggression, how about the Monks? Their "Black Monk Time" was so far ahead of it's time it didn't even get released in the US until almost 30 years after it was recorded. It's no coincidence that the Fall have so far covered 3 Monks songs since their basic format - irate, stressed-out guy ranting over two-chord speedfreak garage workouts - is much the same. Ditto some of the Seeds' stuff, like "Evil Hoodoo"or "Excuse, Excuse".
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 30, 2004, 22:31
Oh yeah!!!
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Jul 30, 2004, 22:38
Ever noticed how much Sky Saxon's delivery of Out Of The Question from Future sounds like John Lydon's style 10 years later
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 30, 2004, 22:59
I always thought "Up In Her Room" was the blueprint for "Sister Ray" too!
zuggog
286 posts

Re: Ahead of their time/robert johnson
Jul 31, 2004, 04:57
Imagine what the great man Robert Johnson must have sounded like to most peoples ears in 1936, and his influence still reaches music today, probably more indirectly than directly. And the first man to sell his soul for guitar prowess.

Also Amon Duul [the first lot] were sorta ahead of their time, they are selling more records[cds] now than they ever did back in '69. Amon Duul2's Phallus Dei also.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jul 31, 2004, 09:34
The Fall. Mark E Smith had a juxtaposition of different words, themes, verbal images and picures not seen in British indie/punk music. Also he truly mastered the character song long before Shaun Ryder. He really did develop a truly unique style which many have copied (including me).
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Ahead of their time / SPARKS
Jul 31, 2004, 09:58
Sparks. I remember the first time I heard This Town Ain't Big Enough. OK there was a glam influence and there were some big rawk gtr's there, but overall it sounded like nothing I'd ever heard. I hated it - I remember thinking - aged 13 - if that's what music is gonna sound like from now on, then count me out!!
Of course, a few months later I loved it, and still do. Still sounds a totally wonderful single from a band that, for better or worse, are unique IMO. I lost touch with their music for years, but I've bought the last two albums - BALLS and Lil Beethoven - and both are wonderful in very different ways.
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index