Soundtrack to our lives 20/6/2004

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Soundtrack to our lives 20/6/2004
Jun 20, 2004, 14:30
We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.

Well our lives aren't the only things that are rounded. LPs, CDs and the spools on cassettes are also rounded. As are speakers, and eardrums.

Also rounded are the tyres on camper vans.

I've been listening to "cigarettes and carrot juice" - a 5 disk compilation of just about everything Camper Van Beethoven ever did.

Fucking Brilliant. I love this band for its humour, originality, attitude, musicianship and just generally ability to write top toons without taking anything too seriously.

If you're the one person here never to have heard CVB, go out and purchase some from your local purveyor immediately.

Cans are round, too. Even dead ones. So if they dance it wont be a square dance they do, but a round one.

Good grief! what a horribly contrived way of saying I've also been listening to selected tracks by Dead Can Dance. Just random stuff, arabian, arty and beautiful.

After that, the other snippets and fragments that I've been hearing seem shapeless and angular.

Gimme some curves, man!

Round round get around I get around....
Zos
389 posts

Re: Soundtrack to our lives 20/6/2004
Jun 20, 2004, 15:01
Hmm, my partner recently bought that Dead Can Dance dvd, not watched it yet, but might give it a spin now you've reminded me...

This week, aside from a computer program I've been slaving over that goes 'beep' a lot, I've been listening to:

Pere Ubu - Dub Housing: Very murky, a lot more unhinged than I was expecting, but that's a good thing, although Caligari's Mirror is a little too up-tempo for me! ;o)

The Real Bahamas in Music & Song vols 1 & 2: Classics. :o)

Neu! - Neu! 75: Very good working music - have to have something with a fairly regular and hypnotic beat like this or Hawkwind... or...

Brainticket - Cottonwoodhill: That old fave, finally got it on cd for a fiver. ;o)

Shirley Collins - For As Many As Will: Now this really is the "greatest British album ever", in my opinion.

Alphane Moon/Our Glassie Azoth - Experimenting with an amen/The Magician's Heavenly Chaos: I totally love this cd, heavy noise drenched, feedback, Basstation and flute reveries. Wonderful!

Throbbing Gristle: DOA: The Third and Final Report & Heathen Earth: Both great IMHO. I find "Blood on the Floor" very catchy.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Jun 20, 2004, 15:27
This week I have been mostly listening to:

Electric Wizard "We Live" (Sounds good so far, massive gumby riffs and less distorted vocals than usual)
Gonga s/t (Hasn't really grabbed me yet but some nice riffs)
Fu Manchu "Daredevil"
Redd Kross "Show World"
Juan de la Cruz Band "Manila Concert 1973" (was a bit gutted when I first played this as I already had most of it on another album - damn these bootleggers and their sketchy label information. Music's brilliant though)
The Atomic Bitchwax "II" (similar to "I")
Brant Bjork "Keep Your Cool"
sHEAVY "Synchronized" (perhaps they should have called themselves "I can't believe it's not Sabbath!" - can't wait for their new album)
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Jun 20, 2004, 15:55
Mellow - Perfect Colours
Mellow - Another Mellow Summer
Both albums currently both soundtracking my summer of 2004, just beautiful

Le Orme - Ad Gloriam (high quality late 60's psych from Italy)

Rainbow Ffolly - Sallies Fforth (Beatlesesque psych pop from 68 originally released on EMI and flopped, goofy at times but some very good tunes in places though

Babylonian Tiles - Teknicolour Aftermath (Siouxsie and the Banshees and Ultimate Spinach are big influences on this band)

The Moodies Blues - In Search Of The Lost Chord (unhip, bad haircuts and pretentious but the more I listen to this one the more I think it is one of the best British psych albums of the late 60's, go check this out an listen without any preconceptions its a corker)
Beebon
1375 posts

Jun 20, 2004, 20:18
Beastie Boys - To The 5 Burroughs: Bought this about mid week. Really fun album this, not groundbreaking, but i've really enjoyed it and the video of their single is fun too :)

Death in june - NADA!

Sonic Youth - Evol

Death In June - But What Ends When the Symbols Shatter

Sonic Youth - NYC Ghosts And Flowers

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

XETB - Hieroglyphic Mountain
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Jun 20, 2004, 23:31
Been on a classical kick this week:

Brahms: Symphony no. 1 (Cleveland/Szell)
Symphony no. 2 (Cleveland/Dohnanyi)
Symphony no. 3 (Utah SO/Abravanel)
Symphony no. 4 (LSO/Weingartner)
Sibelius: Symphony no. 6 (LSO/Colin Davis)

Also:
Enrico Rava: The Plot
Focus: Hocus Pocus - The Best Of Focus
The Smiths: The Queen Is Dead
Jeff Beck: Beck-Ola

Just got back from seeing Jeff Beck live. Awesome. Amazing stuff from a guy who turns 60 on Thursday.

Good health and listening to all

D x
Lugia
970 posts

Jun 20, 2004, 23:32
Some of the stuff going into the earholes this past week has been off of a rather interesting site full of free downloads of Arabic pop. Those interested might wish to check http://www.mazika.com/ . Quality stuff.

Also...

David Sylvian: "Secrets of the Beehive". Yeah, yeah...some people aren't down, I know. But this is a nice, introspective piece of work, albeit a flawed one inasmuch as Virgin forced Sylvian's hand on excluding a track or two and then adding the not-quite-on-point Sylvian/Sakamoto collab "Forbidden Colours" on the end of the CD release.

Main: "Sound Pool". This thing does seem to wander into the CD slot in the car on occasion. Droning, dubby, slo-mo...sort of like a soundtrack for swimming in a pool full of jello while on chloroform. Which, given that I'm listening to it in the CAR, well...

Fluxion: "Vibrant Forms II". Sort of the electronic/techno equivalent of the above Main release. On the infamous Chain Reaction label, successor to the even more infamous Basic Channel. Goes NO fucking where in very brilliant ways.

Also still listening to the NOTAM "9beetstretch" project...takes a while to go thru 24 hours of music, you know, especially when it's this zero-mo trippy.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 21, 2004, 01:04
been really excited cos I've been connecting up one of my hi-fi's to the video and dvd player. This means I finally get to watch films with speaker sound rather than tv speaker sound. Also I can now listen to mp3's on a decent stereo too - through my dvd. So been listening to some of the mp3's that Beebon sent me - mainly Funki Porcini - great chill out music.
Also been listening to: that June 1 gig of Eno et al
Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Deja Vu
Seal - Seal (1)
Jakatta - visions
Fairport Convention at the beeb (Heydey)
Led Zeppelin IV
Santana - Caravanserai
Jackson 5 - Abc
The Soft Machine 1+2
Michael Chapman - The man who hated mornings
Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth
Herbie Hancock - Future Shock

Oh and I've been listening to Mark Radcliffe's new show a lot - I think he plays some great stuff. Heard someone possibly called 'Stila Nordenson'. Anyone heard of her cos she sounds great to me? They've got Noddy Holder as a tv critic!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Ratcliffe and Noddy Holder
Jun 21, 2004, 01:52
Mark and Lard used to have a section where famous bods read out passages from books.

The ones I can recall are Frank Black reading Bradbury's Martian Chronicles, Damian Albarn reading some Indian Mystic stuff, and Noddy Holder doing Winnie The Pooh. He was a fantastic reader, and his voice brought the characters to life.
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 21, 2004, 06:43
Aural Fit

no cd, just diggin' the mp3s at www.auralfit.com, which I like a lot

before that it was

Television - Marquee Moon
High Rise 2
Sunburned Hand Of The Man - Rare Wood
Neon Brown - Nice Feathers