Unsung Forum »
Soundtrack to our lives 20/6/2004

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Guffaw!!
Jun 25, 2004, 21:32
Actually seemed to coincide w/ her starring role in Videodrome...
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jun 25, 2004, 21:33
Oh fuck it...I'm gonna get Tarkus on CD!!!

8-D
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jun 25, 2004, 21:36
That's a cracker of a film!
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Jun 25, 2004, 21:47
Easy now JT..deep breaths..think this thing through..

'-)
don quixote
232 posts

Re: Soundtrack to our lives 20/6/2004
Jun 26, 2004, 00:19
Only two this week:

Hawkwind - Space Ritual

TG - Heathen Earth

Woooooosh!!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 01:18
Hmm, E.L.P, SchmE.L.P if you ask me. Waste of talent and electricity. Haven't ever been able to stomach that stuff at all - remember constantly hearing it coming out of my brother's bedroom as a kid in the early 70s, felt like child abuse.

Sorry, don't mean to be negative or judgemental abuoit other people's tastes or anything, and normally I wouldn't have intervened, but ... E.L.P! E.L.P.! Hearing all these people talking about them so uncritically sounds to me like overhearing a bunch of otherwise utterly sussed and clued-up people talking in a pub about how they're so disillusioned with New Labour thinking of voting Conservative again at the next election. We must never let the utter evil that is bad English prog-rock ever rear it's ugly head on our fair isle again. Fair enough, a few bands can be spared the firing sqaud - Soft Machine, Van Der Graaf, Man, Groundhogs, Kevin Ayers - all the ones that either genuinely rocked, had a sense of humour, or both.
But as for the likes of E.L.P. and Yes ... surely we fought wars in order to get rid of all that stuff.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

DOUBLE Guffaw!!
Jun 26, 2004, 10:55
Sev and Vooje!

Yeah! Maybe the theory of 'those who were abused, tend to end up as abusers' !!

VDGG, Ayers, Softs etc were the REAL 'progressive' stuff ...whereas Yes, ELP- I seem to recall, were often called 'Pomp'!
After my first love(s) of The Who, Bowie , Velvets, Roxy, Can etc. things seemed to get lost around 1974- that odd wasteland up to the end of 1976,
I remember listening to Henry Cow's "Concerts" album and wanting to hear more outlandish stuff like the live track 'Groningen' but married with The Stooges!
It's odd how all this talk of 'Prog' is taking place amid banter on TG/Cab.Voltaire- maybe that sums it up - the REAL Prog!!
mmmm I think that's also the time when we discovered sulphate, nothing to brag about of course- but it just shows how it wiped quite a few slates clean across the UK!
I remember myself and a mate of mine sniggering behind our other mates backs when they were sitting down and shaking their heads in appreciation to a Chick Corea LP in early '76 and thinking- "I'd love to blow up the place where this was recorded"- in a metaphoric sense of course!
Although I do own a live Mahavishnu Orchestra LP.

A strange but fascinating world..... shit- I've got to take the car to the garage- hmmmmm reality kicking in! =8-)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

I must add....
Jun 26, 2004, 11:02
...King Crimson 1969-74- I really did like!
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Re: I must add....
Jun 26, 2004, 11:44
Henry Cow's Concerts, along with Faust 4 - albeit 15 years too late - were responsible for my adolencent avant-gardisms, plus the cause of derrision from my INXS & Happy Mondays-loving school chums
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: I must add....
Jun 26, 2004, 11:59
Doesn't matter where or when- as long as *it* happens........ ;-)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index