Unsung Forum »
Soundtrack to our lives 20/6/2004

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zos
389 posts

Re: Soundtrack to our lives 20/6/2004
Jun 22, 2004, 20:17
A friend of mine recently saw them in London and was blown away - I certainly think if "Helige!" is anything to go by they sound superior live! I think the aforementioned disc was my first introduction to DIJ, which led to me finding a lot of the album tracks of the same material a littel disappointing - a fantastic set...
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jun 22, 2004, 20:21
Hello
Had an LP frenzy last week its the only way to fly.

Anyway these is the platters which formed the playlist -

Blodwyn Pig - Getting To This - superb 2nd outing for the mighty Pig
Wild Turkey - Turkey - equally superb 2nd album for Tull original bassist Glenn Cornick's solo vehicle. Havent heard their 1st LP anyone got it?
The Nice - Five Bridges - Keith Emerson and co classical rock fusion homage to the Bridges Over The River Tyne
Ian Gillan Band - Clear Air Turbulance - probably the best of the early jazz rock fusion Ian Gillan albums before they dropped most of the line up and went all heavy rock.
Black Sabbath - Live At Last - 1st spin for this one by me and I like it - is it much slagged off for something?
Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends - 1969 soul outttng for Joe with guest slots from Pagey and Stevie Winwood amongst others.
The Beachboys - Very Best of - Won this in a News of the World competition way back in 1981 believe it or not 8-)
Simon and Garfunkel - Greatest Hits - nuff said
Jethro Tull - ahem return to form album from 1987 way back in the days when a return to form meant trying to out dire Dire Straits ho hum!!
Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green - outstanding blues rock from Alvin Lee and Co
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds - great film soundtrack from 1972 one of their best
Pink Floyd - Masters of Rock - mid 70's collection of tracks circa 67/68 fine companion to Relics barring a slight bit of overlapping
The Moody Blues - A Question of Balance
The Incredible String Band - The Hangmans Beautiful Daughter - 17 years after buying it, it still hasnt sunk in yet.

A couple of CD's squeezed through too
Crosby Stills and Nash - CD 2 from their early 90's box set
Eric Clapton - Early Clapton - a collection of Yardbirds and Bluesbreakers tracks and also The Immediate Allstars featuring Jimmy Page.

And thats me

See ya all
Joolio

To Be a Rock But Not To Roll!!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Live At Last
Jun 22, 2004, 21:03
Is not very well recorded, not their best material from their best tour, etc. but I've always liked it for it's raw redline outta control intensity. The "quiet" bits sound deafening! On "Sweet Leaf" they play the slow parts slower than the record and the fast parts faster! Ozzy gets the lyrics to "War Pigs" wrong!

It was while listening to this LP that I flashed that the Stooges & Black Sabbath are like transatlantic brothers. Ozzy = Iggy, Ron = Tony, etc.
keith a
9574 posts

Jun 22, 2004, 22:23
>ELP - Welcome Back My Friends . . . (1974)

Don't go there, Dog. I bought that back in 1976 as I was heading down that route. Thank god the Pistols came along and saved me from all that piano improvisations nonsense ; )
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jun 22, 2004, 22:25
Yeah Heilige is great and I would really recommend it. I'd also agree that the live versions are superior to the studio versions. I think it must be the drumming or something which is phenomal. Even the versions of the songs from studio versions done 14- 18 years previously are better . Beebon - check out the Heilige version of Fields Of Rape previously on Nada to see what I mean.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

'elp ELP!
Jun 22, 2004, 23:13
:-)

Oh ELP has their moments -- the first LP, "Tarkus", most of "Trilogy" -- but I wouldn't call them "rocknroll" or anything!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Re: Stina Nordenstam
Jun 23, 2004, 00:29
Excellent, thanks Riddley - I'll look out for that. I was beginning to think I'd made the name up (well I kind of did, but it is not easy picking up foreign names of people you haven't heard of). Isn't this website great? Such an ocean of knowledge to draw from.
keith a
9574 posts

Jun 25, 2004, 10:40
I normally only choose things I’ve played more than once, but as the Bob Marley Complete Upsetter Collection is 6 cd’s it’s certainly been taking up a lot of my listening time. And very good it is, too.

Also just heard Edwyn Collins A Girl Like You just the once, but it was great to hear it again. It was one of those records that was played to death at the time, but it was good hearing it afresh. I love Edwyn’s piercing solo and the drum sound is great!

Also…

THE FALL – F-oldin’ Money

The JAM – That’s Entertainment
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Collins on Pennis
Jun 25, 2004, 10:49
I saw Edwyn Collins perform this live in the studio which was broadcast as part of that Dennis Pennis Show circa 1995, Paul Cook was on drums.

Also saw Pete Wylie with Mick Jones (and Shaun Ryder's Dad!) camping it up for the cameras!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: 'elp ELP!
Jun 25, 2004, 10:54
My brother had their first LP and a friend of mine in school was nuts about them, so I'm familiar with all of their stuff until 'the bubble burst' as it were, 1976 and all that.

Strange- they were so good they were bad and vice versa- they should have been called OTT...

Totally perverse!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index