Unsung Forum »
Soundtrack to our lives 20/6/2004

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: DOUBLE Guffaw!!
Jun 26, 2004, 20:47
Nuts to you guys..ELP and Yes ruled..ELP were a little cheesy but they had a great '70s sci-fi thing going on. Like the musical equivalent of Logan's Run or something. Dated and cheesy but good (well in ELP's case..some of the time)..

I don't see what's wrong with Yes...The Yes Album, Close To The Edge and Relayer are amazing albums..Fragile is kind of hodgepodge (though South Side and Heart Of The Sunrise are some of their best tunes) and Topographic Oceans is famously overblown (has its moments though) but overall they were an excellent band in the '70's.

The main problem with ELP and Yes is that they were the most popular prog bands so therefore they gave the "genre" a "bad" name..not to mention the bazillion bands that rip them off (let's not forget Genesis either) and not even well at that..

Mike
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Guffaw!!
Jun 26, 2004, 20:48
I love the BSS cover. Giger rules. Of course, I'm a sci-fi nut so..

Mike
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Guffaw!!
Jun 26, 2004, 20:51
Bah, bowing to popular opinion there?

Mike
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: DOUBLE Guffaw!!
Jun 26, 2004, 21:48
I did kinda-like Steve Howe's guitar work.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Defensive/confessional Guffaw!!
Jun 26, 2004, 22:35
Chaosmike-

I only said they were Pomp! :-(

I like(ed) Yes up to 'Close To The Edge'
ELP up to Brain Salad Surgery
and (eeeeek!) Genesis up to 'Lamb Lies Down', which, in my view was where Prog ended together with seeing VDGG at the end of 1976.
Everyone likes a 'little bit o'Prog' ;-D
Shame about crap like ....The Enid! AAAAArgh!!

Lawrence-

I know I've posted this before, but for the people who haven't seen it, read what Mr.Levene has to say about Mr.Howe:

http://www.furious.com/perfect/keithlevene.html
don quixote
232 posts

"A BATH FULL OF LOBSTERS....." !?!
Jun 26, 2004, 22:49
AAAAAAAhaHAAAAAAA!!!!

I've wet myself :^D
don quixote
232 posts

POPTONES!?!
Jun 26, 2004, 22:51
I'm hearing PiL's 'poptones' in a different light!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: "A BATH FULL OF LOBSTERS....." !?!
Jun 26, 2004, 23:29
Talk about 'Excess All Areas'!!

It looks like Greg Lake was kind of like a cross between King Charles II and Homer Simpson! ;-D
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Defensive/confessional Guffaw!!
Jun 26, 2004, 23:59
That was excellent. Of course Levene has always admitted Howe was an influence. The parts about James Blood Ulmer were interesting too -- Ulmer played at the local jazz-fest but I couldn't afford to go, otherwise I would've seen him...

Pengo did something like the Ritz riot show on their very-first gig, behind a screen but the only difference was they did it in total darkness. And like PIL they had bottles thrown at them! I vagely remember I was there but I'm not sure I was... I think it might've been that they played in the dark and I just thought it was some extremely long rehersal and walked out before the bottles flew. I might not have even been aware of who was playing although all the members were from different groups I've seen before, so they must've snuck in incognito.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: POPTONES!?!
Jun 27, 2004, 00:03
Levene said that's the track most influenced by Yes(!)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index