Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03
Sep 29, 2003, 16:26
Hate to point it out too late, but the Bunnymen stuff is reapearing in remastered extended form this time next month.
Just read that in the Mojo with the Detroit slant & the great MC5 poster. (did anybody get the Gap/Levi's t-shirt with the same image? Hate to see ity wasted on the likes of Justin Timberlake)

Love that first Stooges lp, its got a lot of really bubblegummy popelements to it with Iggy sounding like a bored pin-up and Ron trying to erase everything else under layers of stun guitar.
Real existenshul like
Stevo
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: Phallus Dei
Sep 29, 2003, 16:32
Thanks for that - I have got Yeti, but not Lemmings.
Fopp have them all cheap at the moment (well £7 per disc) so i'll maybe pick it up
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Skip James
Sep 29, 2003, 16:35
I'm still waiting for my copy of the Document version of the 1931 stuff to come through locally. I think I ordered it at the start of the year too.
I think it would've been easier to get the Yazoo but I heard the Document had been remastered(or as close as possible) . I remember the surface noise on my old Yazoo lp being akin to an early '30s precursor to JAMC.
Is the cd as bad?

Also noticed in the Dylan Uncut special thuingy that they appear to have swapped the pictures of
Skip and Sleepy John Estes.
Finally getting around to reading bits of thaty earlier.
I've got a nice cheap copy of the Live '75 Bootleg SEries awaiting picking up. Hope my7 finances aren't in as dire a state as last week's unfortunate revalation would suggest.
stevo
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Dance of the Lemmings.
Sep 29, 2003, 16:41
Make sure you get the new remastered versions. I have the old Captain Trip version of "Tanz der Lemminge" and the sound is more than a bit muddy; maybe I'll actually like the album when I hear the remastered version.

Lord Lucan, isn't at least one of the bonus tracks on "Phallus Dei" actually an instrumental version of one of their singles (I forget the name at the moment), and not from "Tanz der Lemminge" itself?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Lick It Up with The Darkness!
Sep 29, 2003, 16:54
Downloaded a couple The Darkness tunes to check em out -- sounds like post-makeup 80's KISS to me!

Seriously, except for the ridiculous singing they are an 80's hair metal band.

I suppose these days that's just "being ironic" though . . . sigh . . . .

And yes, the album cover seems to be an homage to that Boston album cover.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Dance of the Lemmings.
Sep 29, 2003, 17:09
Er, not too sure. Haven't paid the bonuses too much attention to be honest apart from thinking they were gonna be totally unheard stuff and not really bothering with them much after realising they were bits of Lemmings coz I know Lemmings inside out. Been vibing on hearing Phallus Dei (the long track) over and over in crystal clarity instead!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: the darkness a brief history...
Sep 29, 2003, 17:14
Ha! That was absolutely hilarious! I hope "Growing On Me" is as funny as it sounds.
Metalpub
130 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 17:43
One of the last ones as usual to post my soundtracks, and I'm running out of time on my tea break, too.

Art Bears- The World as it is Today
Throbbing Gristle-Brighton Poly '77 (from TG24)
Oragnum+The New Blockaders- Salute
Stockhausen- Mikrophonie 1
Frank Zappa- One Size Fits All

Sorry, no time to wax lyrical about how great these records are.

Bye
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 18:41
sethman where are u when u are required!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Lick It Up with The Darkness!
Sep 29, 2003, 18:48
Oh well...cant please em all. I saw em at Glastonbury this year...first band of the day as well...and I've never been inclined to having a rocking moment at 10.00am until then. Just thought they were great fun and also really good at what they were doing.

Like I say, I think they are more loving homage than piss take. You couldn't be that dedicated to getting that sound right if all you were doing was being 'ironic'.
What's quite interesting that lyrically, amidst all the Queenisms & Thin Lizzy twin guitar lines, there's a lot of very English profanity and observations of mundane Britishness. Never thought I'd see the word cunt used in an FM Radio heavy rock context.
Dunno why that appeals to me but it does :^)
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index