Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Squarepusher
Sep 29, 2003, 18:54
...is actually a 'he' & not a 'them'. Loads of stuff out there ranging from brilliant to annoying and I think that's how he likes it. Hope you find something else you like - good stuff!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: the darkness a brief history...
Sep 29, 2003, 19:20
I've heard the same thing. The original band was called Empire and they were apparently very straighforward rock. Justin Hawkin's was the keyboard player. Then he did Bohemian Rhapsody at a Hawkin's family do and he's brother Dan (Darkness guitarist) apparently had a kind of Damascus moment along the lines of...why are we doing this 'serious' stodge rock when we could be having fun playing stuff we love with a hugely camp frontman showing off?
And, indeed, why not? 8^)

Hope you enjoy the gig Nat...wish I was going!
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 20:51
if u like squarepusher have a listen to u-ziq's album Bilious Paths, its propper drill n bass fucked up beats. or try to get hold of some good aphex twin, there's plenty too choose from.

TpS
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 21:36
Aren't Squarepusher supposed to be influenced by 'jazz-fusion' or something? I've always hated the stuff -- the music of musos and squares that misunderstand what serious jazz is supposed to be about,
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 22:21
each to their own even if its jazz fusion, ohh the very thought of it, wheres me bucket i feel like im about to roar like a lion
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

eye on knee
Sep 29, 2003, 23:31
"Everyone's too uptight these days," reckons Frankie. "I hate the arrogance of bands who think their petty emotions are interesting. If you look at bands from 25 years ago, people have smiles on their faces. We're bringing a bit of that back."

So there's no ironic intent? "No," he says, switching into sarcastic mode, "I'm just doing what's real and right." And they're not taking the piss out of Heavy Metal? "No way! Fuck that!"

"We know we've got a long struggle," says Dan thoughtfully. "No-one dares break any rules. But once we get unleashed, we could change everything."

ROCK!!!!

http://www.thedarknessrock.com/biography/
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Entertainment
Sep 29, 2003, 23:39
I guess it's choose yr poison time. I saw them on TV, I think it was Jools Holland or something. But the leopard skin cat suit did it for me, and I'd go and see them live to spill a few pints and look louche, even if they didn't make it the All Important Listening Time of 3am at Morfe manor CD platter..

From this months Kerrang:

"This is the entertainment trade, and you need to be entertaining people. If you're not doing that , fuck off and work in a library."

J ustin. The Darkness.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Lick It Up with The Darkness!
Sep 30, 2003, 06:08
Well, a lot of people obviously like 80's hair metal . . . heck I used to be in a hair metal band.

;-)
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Sep 30, 2003, 14:16
Add to that Venetian Snares - stupid names but ace scary breakcore or whatever it's called...
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Venetian Snares
Sep 30, 2003, 15:06
Going to see them in Glasgow on Saturday. I am muchly excited.

In fact it's a pretty good week for gigs 'n' things all in.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index