Sep 30, 2003, 19:10
Like that quote...but my fave is.

"Actually I think we're an improvement on sliced bread"
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03
Sep 30, 2003, 20:20
Squarepusher

Only heard Go Platic. Didnt like it either to begin with... left it a month or two then listened again and really got into it, then it just started sounding incredibly dull to me i'm afraid, especially compared to some of the weird underground electro stuff i was listening to at the time.

Would appreciate another recomendation though from anyone :-)
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Sep 30, 2003, 20:47
That seems strange because IIRC a large chunk of the book was devoted to exposing the links between some black metal and neo-nazis. Then again, those industrial music types (isn't he a pal of Boyd Rice?) always seem to flirt with nazi imagery... (and then cry foul when they get accused of actually *being* nazis ;) )
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Entertainment
Sep 30, 2003, 20:50
Oh aye, the clothes are smart (in a Dave Hill stylee), the falsetto vocals are bostin, the widdly widdly solos are champion, now if they'd just buckle down and write some better songs for their 2nd album I'd be much obliged. I'm not syaing the ones on Permission to Land are shite or anything, they're just a bit "B-, could do better".
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 30, 2003, 21:17
Actually I don't think Mike Moynihan or Rice really care if anyone thinks they're nazis really... I know my gay pen-pal Douglas P. doesn't either, and knowing him I definitely wouldn't say he is. He's more of a misanthropist actually... I have an old Dutch magazine called The Feverish from the late '80's where Doug wrote a self-descriptive piece where he says the reason why he wore the SS Death's Head was merely to show he had total commitment and that his enemies won't be tolerated, essentially. Anyways people also overlook that Doug used to be in a leftist punk band. And no, the piece in The Feverish had no racist/anti-semetic shit on it, and he didn't even strike me as Fascist for that matter...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Lick It Up with The Darkness!
Sep 30, 2003, 23:46
Nah, I think The Darkness definitely has more of an 80's sound.

Could be there look (and videos?) give off a more 70's vibe. I haven't even seen a photo of them. They seem to be a UK-only phenomenon so far.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 01, 2003, 00:00
sssiiigh ok I shall defer to you...that hasn't got the album...instead of me....that has.
PHHHHRTTT!
Soz dude but I still think you are missing the mark...I see what you are saying but you are missing the roots of it.
Trust me on this fella...I know...Think of UFO's Stangers In The Night live double - Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak album (singles). I know you downloaded bits....but.......it's got much more in common with 77/78' period Brit stuff than the Hair Stuff of the 80's. Even a bit of Wishbone Ash's more ROCK moments.
Disagree but we are listening to 2 different albums in that case.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Some pix link thing
Oct 01, 2003, 00:59
http://www.thedarknessrock.com/photography/

there u go dude!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Oct 01, 2003, 17:25
Trust me in this fella -- to my ears the production sounds a little too clean for 70's, it's that "80's sheen" thing. You know, like metal only prettier. I spoze folks was doing something like that in the 70's (yeah I know about Queen & Thin Liz) but "that sound" is most associated with the 80's.

So sez I, and you can say diffrent!

Their pics look pretty 80's to me to -- check out the gtr player's outfit in the shot where he's on the other guys shoulders . . .

http://www.thedarknessrock.com/images/sarahphotogirl/brixton_03/index.php

But then again, I guess David Lee Roth wore outfits like that as early as '78.

How bout we split the difference and say The Darkness sounds kinda 1976-1983?

;-)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 01, 2003, 18:08
fairy nuff. It makes me smile and want to go YEAH! to passers by.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index