Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Nursery Cryme
Sep 29, 2003, 14:58
Bugger! Thought I'd managed to stop the 'Nursey Cryme' post. Sorry.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Phallus Dei
Sep 29, 2003, 15:09
I've been listening to this loads recently having plunged into a CD version of it. It's weird hearing it without the jumps I'd learnt on my vinyl copy. Anyway, blah, blah... Just wanted to mention that the bonus tracks on the CD of Phallus Dei are remixed versions of bits from the Dance Of The Lemmings album, so if you like them you might find that album worth exploring too (though don't forget Yeti either).
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03
Sep 29, 2003, 15:26
Pop Group - We Are All Prostitutes. I'm sure you're all well familiar with this lot, but they were news to me. Can't really listen to this in a oner, but it has some great moments.

Fall - Live @ The Phoenix Festival. I won this off the radio through the week. A towering monument to ragged-assed genius. In lieu of the new album, it'll keep me ticking over.

Dick Dale - King Of The Surf Guitar. Twang!!!!!

David Viner - Mr David Viner. Pleasantly voiced singer songwriter. Was given this and told he was "the Bert Jansch of garage rock". not sure if they don't know who Bert Jansch is or what garage rock is.

Mu - Afro Finger & Gel. Tigerbeat6 album picked up cheaply. Just about to give up on this. I suspect that it suffers from the same clinicism as a lot of electronica. It just feels way too studied.

Country Teasers - Full moon Empty Sportsbag. I love the way these guys keep slipping albums out unnoticed. As usual, a wunnerful lopsided countrified nonsense.

Forty-Fives - Fight Dirty. Bought this on the strength of hearing one track on the radio ("The Devil Beats His Wife"). Expected a seriously fried blues boogaloo. Guess what? Yup, only one decent track on it. The rest sounds like lame generic 60's 'popular beat combo' tunes.

V/A - Vital Music. Chain with no name compilation. Given free with some purchases. It's got a song from the new Handsome Family album on it - brilliant. Good track by Kid Koala.. Pointless remix of Timezone's World Destruction by the Herbaliser. Some other stuff which hasn't really hooked my consciousness.

Frank Black & The Catholics in concert, last night. Brilliant. Must get some of their records, any suggestions? Rich Gilbert on guitar. He looks like Mike Reid (as in 'early in the morning'), but is a hero.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apollo 440
Sep 29, 2003, 15:29
It is weird that Apollo 440 aren't considered cool at all by the music rags or musos. On record they might not be the best thing since sliced proverbial, but I can vouch for the fact that dancing around off your nut infront of them playing live, loud and energised is a bloody amazing experience. And it's curious that Primal Scream pick up cred points from same journos and musos for (at times) having a similar sound. Hmmm.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Apollo 440
Sep 29, 2003, 15:31
I saw Apollo 440 a couple of years ago, I danced my nut off........
Nat Hate
Nat Hate
445 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 15:38
This:

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci: Sleep/Holiday - good but not amazing. No South Wales gig - cheeky buggers.

Lots of my own music due to rehearsals and recording sessions. Variously good, brilliant or dreadful.

Culprit One: demos/What I Use - the best electronic stuff I've heard for a while.

Can: Future Days/Saw Delight - rubbish. Only joking.

Vic Godard & The Subway Sect: saw him live and he was dreadful.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Apollo 440
Sep 29, 2003, 15:46
Actually, Moony has just reminded me that htey have an album out that I forgot to pick up. I love 'em too.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 16:12
Lev Zhurbin - Improvisations. A viola player and composer in NY, stunning stuff. Heres something short by him http://Ljova.com/ljova-fmin.mp3

CD's Five from here@HH sent me of a coupla bands he plays in. All good, thanks m8, will send u some things back soon. Preferred the live CD, I always prefer live CDs.
Don't like the vocalist though, soz, but like the music. Which I can say, cos ppl say the same thing about my band ;). Course we just kicked our guitarist out, so mebbe they wont like the music now either.

I've been playing lotsa Skip James this week 2. Really like the more recent recordings, especially that of 'hard time killing floor blues'.

Cocteau Twins - Garlands : Great. I think it's the only cocteau twins album I like really. Even Victorialand leaves me yawning these days.

Talking Heads - Fear of Music. Beautifully jumpy music, class.

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats. Perfect, this is the sorta thing I want to be hearing now.

And those 'how to destroy angels' tracks by Coil and is it Nurse With Wound ?
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 16:14
Kings of Leon : yea tis a good ald redneck LP full of young manhood ! I like this album lots well done lads However the *the heads* did it much better 10 years ago and they cum from BristOL which is real red neck cuNtree! Squeel Like a liddle piggy Yall.

New SUPERfURRiES lp: i LUV THESE dudes they can do no wrong with me... another good lp. Nice 1 gruff you are kewl!And as welsh as welsh can be which is no bad ting and a true space man !

Um ... and thats all theee music I have had the chance to listen to cus I have been watching telly!

Yali*
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Sep 29, 2003, 16:16
Back to the shed mix includes:---

Squarepusher - Go Plastic/Do You Know Squarepusher?
Hated these when i first heard em' a few month's ago, so they went into the 'pass onto somebody else' pile thats growing week by week, but i dug it out last week, as i had a bit of an 'electronic head' on and it clicked, and now I'm totally sold.
Especially love the 'Do You Know...' CD. The track Mutilation Colony wouldn't sound out of place on a Coil or NWW release...as to the rest, mashed D&B with mucho glitched beats and off kilter sounds. Mmmm. Even the rapping is OK (and i can't stand rap as a rule).

Coh - Iron
One track 38 minutes or something, again hated it when i first heard it, but Luuuurve it now. Lots of bloops, loops, tones and Blarg digital interferance type noises, kinda mental/annoying in places, but totally Mmmm as a whole.

Wire - Turns And Strokes
Incredibly patchy B-side/live affair, some tracks are fabbo, others you just think, why bother???
There is something to be said for not releasing EVERYTHING you ever put down on tape, and this is a good argument for that.

Tim 'Love' Lee - The Continuing Confessions Of Tim Love Lee, The Man Who's Been Everywhere But In Love.
Great tropicalia/samba influenced house ambience, with humorous interludes...a bit like Nightmare On Wax's 'Smokers Delight'.

Thipe - Double Vulgar
Still doing it for me.

Northern Electric - V/A
Patchy 2nd Gen electroclash nonsense for people who've ran out of ideas. Plenty of 'bright young things' playing faux D.A.F., Kraftwerk ,Fad Gadget riffs etc.... Apart from the occasional OK track, this is mostly mingin' Avoid!!

Also listened to a guy from 4Tet on BBC 6 play his fav' tunes...maaan that guy is DULL, and kept putting 'annoying' glitchy bits all over the records he was playing...I'm sure it's art to somebody...but not me matey!!!

Hope you have a good week, I'm outta here!
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index