Worst Stage Names

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: Star Star
Sep 15, 2003, 11:36
Secret! I'll tell you when I see ya in October!! But he's not on that list!!
duckbreath
254 posts

frank discussion
Sep 15, 2003, 12:47
in 'get in the van' rollins talks about some crappy punk band with a singer called Frank Discussion
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Keep it real, represent
Sep 15, 2003, 12:58
I wasn't suggesting you posted on the forums there, I was merely proffering the article.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Macho music
Sep 16, 2003, 01:48
In case you hadn't noticed, "gangsta rap", the milieau Ice Cube was one of the creators of, is very MACHO. If I may get a little "controversial" for a moment I believe this "uber-macho pose" is largely a defense mechanism that comes from growing up in dangerous neighborhoods (so you want to seem as "hard" as possible), with a lot of single parent families (usually just moms), a lot of people you know having done prison time (you know what kind of "sex" goes on in prison), and a whole host of other issues. In other words, I don't think so-called "gay bash rap" really is aimed at gays at all so much as it as aimed at the rapper's perceived peers. It's showing off for the guys, coming from a fear of being seen as "less than a man."

Besides, as commented in another response just saying "faggot" isn't necessarily anti-gay and I don't think Ice Cube has ever made that many what you might call "inflamatory" comments about gays. Usually the topic comes up in reference to his prison stories, and again that's a whole 'nuther issue. (At least thinking about the half dozen of his albums I own, I can't recall much at all specifically about "gays" -- which again is an agenda of mine in defending Cube: I think to focus on one line he may have said and ignore the depth and breadth of ALL of his lyrics is unfair.

The interview Cancerboy posted is also illustrative -- apparently Cube is a big square and the whole "bad boy" thing is just a pose. He went Hollywood a long time and I'm sure he works with and gets along with plenty of gay folks in the theatre/entertainment biz. But he doesn't want to rescind any thing he may have said because he still tries to keep up "the pose." Representin' you know?

Interestingly, Ice-T actually lived the life he sang about and he was very willing to apologize for offensive lyrics (and actually Ice-T's lyrics are a lot more offensive than Cube's.)

So basically it probably comes down to a lack of confidence and self-esteem on Cube's part.

Anyway: I don't hate gays, don't support "bashing" anyone, have had a few gay roommates, blah blah blah and all that lame stuff you're supposed to say to prove your liberal cred (and at this point I'm mostly kidding so I'll stop there.) ;-)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Keep it real, represent
Sep 16, 2003, 01:51
A very good article too.

(I'm also a big fan of Da Lench Mob "Guerrilas in da mist" album -- classic stuff.)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: frank discussion
Sep 16, 2003, 01:51
Bwahahhahaha!!!! :-D
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Oi!
Sep 16, 2003, 02:16
I am Gandalf the White

....and that other one! hehehe

moey
ron
ron
706 posts

Re: Star Star
Sep 16, 2003, 02:20
cheers for that one!
moey
moey
770 posts

One of them antz
Sep 16, 2003, 02:20
hehehe oooh Merrick baiting - that will never do Moony hehehe. At least he wasn't as fat as Marco Polony (sic)

Ah the smell of the crowd and the roar of the greasepaint

moey
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Macho music
Sep 16, 2003, 13:34
Okay, okay!
I give in!
It's not at all anti-gay to go on about faggots and battymen, it's meant ironically. Silly me for getting offended by it.
I wasn't singling out one line of Ice Cube's either. I hardly need to. There's enough crap spouted by others. Eminem's got a lot to answer for for example, and I don't buy the line it's not really about gays anyway, but about prison sex. Give me a break.
Besides, the idea that being gay or having gay sex makes you 'less of a man' is, as you know, total bullshit and needs to be challenged too. It's a nasty stereotype coming from people who really should know better than to sterotype another minority. I'd have liked to see any of these ruffneck rappers dare tell someone like Ronnie Kray to his face that he's not a real man!
I understand what you're saying, but you're still using the 'it's a different culture' argument to excuse anti-gay hatred, I'm afraid. However strong your liberal credentials and sympathies you don't and won't ever feel the strange, horrible gut-wrenching feeling of anger, intimidation and powerlessness that I feel when someone yet again is attacking something central to my very identity. No doubt it's people explaining it in these terms that makes people like Ice-T change their minds because he KNOWS that feeling. It runs a hell of a lot deeper than liberal artistic license.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index