Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Macho music
Sep 17, 2003, 18:01
lol

By the way, the heading on this thread keeps making me think of the Village People singing Macho Man - now there was a tune. Almost as good as Homer J Simpson singing Nacho Nacho Man while wearing his nacho sombrero.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: "Gangsta"
Sep 17, 2003, 18:02
Well the new fad seems to be "thug" -- which is sorta like "gangsta" but more decadent and without the politics. "50 Cent" is your classic example.

Did I mention I think hip-hop peaked ten years ago and has been in decline ever since?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: putting the record, ahem, straight (pt1)
Sep 17, 2003, 18:34
Sorry if I pissed you off, but please relax -- I admit I am not paying much attention to exactly who is saying what here. In some sense I'm just playing devil's advocate to everyone who keeps harping about gay-bash rap. Defending rappers is one of my personal agendas, this is true.

Your comment about "why don't we talk about misogyny" was kind of interesting. Because that's something a lot more rappers are a lot more guilty of -- Ice Cube et al -- they certainly talk about "bitches" a lot more often than anything "gay", and the target is 50% of the population not 3%. So why ARE we on this side issue of "gays and rap"? It seems to me "sex" and "race" are the key issues in rap music. I think you and everyone else harping on the "gay thing" are injecting your own agendas.

I guess maybe it boils down to whose ox is getting gored -- we all have knee-jerk reactions to certain issues. Some people compulsively defend or attack some groups vs. others.

At any rate it's a discussion about issues in music, nothing personal is intended on my end. If we didn't forcefully argue our points it wouldn't be much of a discussion, would it?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Sep 17, 2003, 19:04
3%?

Says who?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 17, 2003, 20:34
OK 5% . . . or 2% . . . you tell me what the number is. Certainly a lot lower than the 50% who are female was my point.

And don't say "10%" because that number comes from misinterpreting Kensey's research in the 1950's (he found 10% of adults "had at least one homosexual experience" -- that doesn't mean 10% were gay -- and sheesh that was 50 years ago anyway.)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: "Gangsta"
Sep 18, 2003, 01:15
No shit! I think it went in decline the minute it became popular...

Frankly, as I said, I never saw much worth in most of it. Just sample all the soul records your pop has to make up for your lack of talent, in other words...

I prefer music played by real instruments for the most part.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 18, 2003, 01:25
Of course, the majority of gays and lesbians are probably in the closet and thus not counted.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: putting the record, ahem, straight (
Sep 18, 2003, 10:26
I remember one of the first times that I thought Mark Lamarr was quite cool. Shabba Ranks (I think) was being interviewed by him on The Word. Giving it all "these people are unnatural...yadda, yadda...bible...kill...come near me...". Lamarr interrupts:

"Sorry, I'm going to have to stop you there..."
(Which seemed like the usual smooth end to an interview or link to the next piece on the Word)
"...because your talking shite"
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Sep 18, 2003, 10:26
I remember one of the first times that I thought Mark Lamarr was quite cool. Shabba Ranks (I think) was being interviewed by him on The Word. Giving it all "these people are unnatural...yadda, yadda...bible...kill...come near me...". Lamarr interrupts:

"Sorry, I'm going to have to stop you there..."
(Which seemed like the usual smooth end to an interview or link to the next piece on the Word)
"...because your talking shite"
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Sep 18, 2003, 10:36
I remember that, it was Shabba Ranks (where is he know?)
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index