Worst Stage Names

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Ice Ice Babies
Sep 13, 2003, 17:41
I would defend anyone's right to SAY whatever they want.

If they go around beating people up that's another matter.
Nukleopatra
Nukleopatra
186 posts

Re: Star Star
Sep 14, 2003, 01:13
The mother of a guy in high school that a girl dumped me for slept with Jim Morrison.

xxoo
'patra
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 13:48
Well, Cube does have a right to say what he wants. I just have a right to object to his message.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 13:52
Oof! Did he gain an unfair advantage by claiming to be Jim's love child?
Nukleopatra
Nukleopatra
186 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 14:00
lol

He was about four years too young to be able to make that claim.

Unless, of course, Jim's...not really dead. Ooh, spooky. ;)

xxoo
'patra
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Keep it real, represent
Sep 14, 2003, 15:12
http://www.daveyd.com/shortydalenchmobinterview.html
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 14, 2003, 16:09
Right, he has the right to say what he wants, sure. But you need to be careful that you don't spend so much time defending his right to say what he wants that you come across as an apologist for his prejudices. It's important that he (and others who are much worse) are challenged about WHY they are homophobic. Some of your comments made it sound like you see the homophobia in rap thing as a minor issue and you're more interested in the freedom of speech issue. I don't see them as clashing though. What I'm saying is that these 'views' are actually insidious hatred and need to be challenged. I'm not saying he should be banned from saying something, what I AM saying is that it should be challenged and not just brushed aside as some sort of 'cultural difference' which is a total cop-out. After all it's only by challenging these people on their hatred that they're educated about things they didn't know anything about before. Without being made to explain WHY they are using such easy targets unthinkingly they won't change their opinions. Ice-T is a good example of someone who changed his views when he was challenged on them. He said a few years back now that he realised that gay people were the wrong target and didn't deserve to be demonised and he's right. One oppressed community targetting another is not the way forward. That's conservative middle America's divide-and-rule policy in action. The Beasie Boys also put out a public statement a couple of years ago apologising for the homophobia they showed in their early career and disowning it. These things happen because these people are challenged to justify their hatred and are educated to the effect it has. Challenging someone's opinion is NOT the same as saying they shouldn't be ALLOWED to express it. I suspect you agree with all of this anyway, but I think it's important that it be said anyway.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Keep it real, represent
Sep 15, 2003, 00:06
In spite of what I said though, I'm not sure if I really want to post an opinion on that forum. I haven't really got the time now.

I pretty much said what I had to say about this matter here.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Keep it real, represent
Sep 15, 2003, 00:08
And anyways, to be fair, Cube hasn't said anything against gays since that first album.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 15, 2003, 00:10
As much as I hate Ice T, at least I respect that he changed his tune... And the Beastie Boys weren't as vicious -- in fact, I don't necessarily think something with the word 'faggot' is necessarily anti-gay.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index