58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Apr 15, 2011, 02:10
Re: The French banning the niqab/burka
Apr 15, 2011, 01:35
I observe from some of my Muslim friends that I grew up with in early 1970's Aston in Birmingham that the Quaran does not indicate within the text the wearing of this garment. It says that women should dress modestly. Whilst I was growing up I did not see any of these garments with a woman striding inside: however my friend's (he born in 1961) mother wore 'something' when she was in India/Pakistan (she lived in the same place before and after partition) and when she came to Birmingham in 1962 or 1963 she asked her husband if she should continue to wear it and he advised her that she should not. I have got a lot of respect for my friend's dad - he fixed up Hawker Hurricanes during the global conflict. As for my friend I think he has had a lot to come to terms with as a devout so called moderate muslim and it ain't been easy since 11/9 and this garment issue is part of it.

There is a reason why young women in the west are wearing these rather grotesque garments, and it not because of trendiness, there is also a reason why the French are all uppity and neurotic about it. It's a clash of 2 sets of ugliness.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index