Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Apr 14, 2011, 23:56
Re: The French banning the niqab/burka
Apr 14, 2011, 23:52
Moon Cat wrote:
Still, should governments - and by governments I mean supposedly of the sort in the West that are there to serve the people -be using their powers to effectively tell muslims or you or me or anyone what they can or cannot wear?

I think not meself.

That's what it comes down to. A clear view of the matter can only conclude one thing... how people dress is a very personal matter, tied in with personal choice, culture, etc.... how can any democracy that ostensibly exists to protect the rights of the individual and the group also allow institutional repression of 'select' costumes? It's really totally preposterous if you look at it and the whole damn thing should be thrown out and repealed.

This whole thing's a slippery slope that could end up whiplashing the French courts... after all, if Burkas are oppressive to women, aren't thongs and high heels? The French are historically pretty happy to drape nude females all over the place in their art and film... is that art, or is it an objectification of women?

How people present themselves to the world is not a matter for a government to decide.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index