The French banning the niqab/burka

58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: The French banning the niqab/burka
Apr 18, 2011, 16:22
Cheers everyone. Enjoyed reading over the responses.
Now I've come to this.
If it's a question of being forced into it, then surely no one would shrugh that off as a 'cultural' matter.
But assuming a woman isn't being forced, is just following her own beliefs, there's still something fundamentally problematic.
The decent amongst us go about our stuff doing our best not to discriminate. When we step out, we don't know what type of people we're gonna encounter, and generally, we say 'so long as they're not being an *arse*', we say 'they're ok by me.' We even say 'hiya' to people we'll probably never met again, and it's all good.
The face veil however, takes away from that level of openness, and automatically, leaves us no choice but to discriminate.
I meet a few muslim women at the school gate, wearing 'head coverings', and I nod them a small hello as they do to me, and that's made possible coz we can see each other!
If any of them were veiled, I'd have to go right up to them, crane my neck like a loon and peer heavily into their eyes to know if they wanted to speak or not. So it wouldn't happen, would it? I'd be *forced* to discriminate, but whose fault would it be? Mine? Theirs? Has anyone got a right to court that?
That sort of thing ain't discussed enough IMO.
x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index