Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2011, 18:08
Re: oops..
Feb 24, 2011, 10:55
stray wrote:
I don't think they talk the loudest, they're just the ones that the media pick up on for obvious controversial reasons. Like Galloway. I completely concur about Pol Pot apologists, there have even been RAF and ETA apologists too. These have still been minority views within our left though, they just get their lunacy broadcast because it makes the media get in a tizzy.

True but the Any One But America thing ran a lot deeper than the tizzy-inducing lunatics. There was I thnk a wider aquiescence and inner conflict among people I knew. There was certainly a bit of post Vietnam confusion about what was what and who was who. I am not saying they were all secret RAF sympathisers but I can certainly recall a general relief if some appalling outrage or another had been committed by one of "theirs" rather than one of "ours". Pre internet it was like following the overseas football scores in the papers. People seemed to hold distant allegianaces to acronyms that came out of Africa and Latin America, in particular, allegiances that came at no price whatsoever.

There was also a fair amount of flirting with some nasty types in rock n roll too (rock n rollers love acronyms!). No change there of course! And in 1977 to 1980 ish a lot of ones information about global politcs at a tender age would come from rock n roll not the New Statesman or whatever.

I hate citing Galloway but he did what he did and said what he said. I am not doing the Daily Mail thing. He doesn't deny his admiration for Gaddafi historically. Now he seems to enjoy using him to bait Blair and the security services! Your comment about self-publicising / self-agrandising old Stalinists is spot on. The ones I went to college with circa 1980 were all about that. Even then.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index