Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2011, 10:23
Re: Bernie Ecclestone - Uber twat!
Feb 24, 2011, 10:20
stray wrote:
I'm not aware of 'our left' being conflicted over Gaddafi ever, there has always been a general consensus that he's an unpleasant cunt and completely mental. I mean, IIRC even the RCP didn't like him, and they traditionally got all aroused and excited by anything that looked remotely like a dictator. Care to elucidate on that one, name names etc.

I don't think its a don't speak about what you don't know, it's more likely to be a what's the point thing. As in firstly, we know the score, the revolutions are a good thing. And secondly, what on earth would be the point of talking about it on U-know considering the general level of non-debate and lack of point rants that occur here.

Left in the very broadest sense. The WRP and Galloway instantly spring to mind. We would have to argue over whether Blair was ever a figure of the left per se. I think we would have to agree not.

And there was the whole my enemy's enemy is my friend dynamic which was especially prevelant in the 70s and early 80s. We prefer to forget it now but there were some very strange bedfellows on both sides of the political divide in the 60s, 70s and 80s. And equally loathsome to Thatcher's sucking up to Pinochet.

A draft resolution adopted by the WRP Political Committee on July 28, 1980 declared that:

“The Workers Revolutionary Party salutes the courageous and tireless struggle of Colonel Gaddafi whose Green Book has guided the struggle to introduce workers’ control of factories, government offices and the diplomatic service, and in exposing the reactionary maneuvers of Sadat, Beigin and Carter… We stand ready to mobilize the British workers in defense of the Libyan Jamahiriya and explain the teachings of the Green Book as part of the anti-imperialist struggle.”

This was fairly stock rhetoric in that period.

Though I never bought into the Ken / Ted Knight thing. That was a smear.

I actually thought it was exactly the sort of thing that we would normally discuss here. Mea culpa.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index