45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2011, 10:34
Re: Bernie Ecclestone - Uber twat!
Feb 24, 2011, 10:32
Yeah, Galloway, I just knew you were going to bring him up. He is always the poster child for what's wrong with the left even now when he is pretty much completely marginalised and taken seriously by nobody. Galloway is a Stalinist, still, our left hasn't been inclined that way for a bloody long time now. Galloway, like most stalinists still kicking around, are nothing but self publicists now, they've left any trace of a consistent politic far behind. Even during the 70s the majority of the left wing parties agreed Stalin = Bad.

Yep, enemy of my enemy is a definite thing, and it's still around in the form of the SWP supporting Hammas (irresepctive of it completely flying in the face of Trotskys definition of 'United Front'). The WRP collapsed back then for being silly, a lot to do with its pledging of 'military support' for various causes when they erm... didn't actually have a military wing. That and the usual sectarian bickering that occurs when you're silly and fail to be internally consistent with your politics. They're back now I think actually.

The major left party is still unfortunately labour, and they have always had right-wing profit led foreign policy. So.. there have never been any surprises with their actions. Saying that they weren't remotely happy clappy supporters of the Gadaffi regime, until Blair turned up to get BP in there, and our arms companies. Up till then they were definitely in the Gadaffi is bad camp.

At the extremes of the left in Europe (not here so much) there was support for him, purely because he was financing their terrorist activities. It was erm... 'unconditional but critical support' My inital premise still holds though, the left in this country in terms of pure numbers did not/has not supported Gadaffi completely unconditionally.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index