U-Know! Forum »
House of Commons Committee advises end to NHS funding of homeopathy

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tingltangl
17 posts

Re: House of Commons Committee advises end to NHS funding of homeopathy
Feb 25, 2010, 16:57
Sorry Sanshee i was just being lighthearted about it. I can`t comment on other therapies as i`m not well enough informed on any of them.

As far as cost effectiveness goes what i do know is that a large clinical outcome study done at the Bristol Homeopathic Hospital showed that a significant percentage of patients were able to either reduce or discontinue their medication after homeopathic treatment. (and no they won`t have had to continue taking homeopathic remedies- a single dose is often enough as the remedy is just a catalyst) They also required far few GP visits after treatment.

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2005.11.793

Now i`m assuming that this would save the NHS money in the long run? A similar study was recently done in Northern Ireland and came to a similar conclusion.

http://www.facultyofhomeopathy.org/media/news/northern_ireland.html

I think its worth bearing in mind that were Homeopathy to be withdrawn from the NHS something would have to be done with the thousands of patients who are referred to the homeopathic hospitals every year. Most of these patients have already had everything that conventional medicine can offer them before they are referred. Judging by the results of the clinical outcome studies these patients are clearly benefitting from homeopathic treatment in a way that has the potential to save the NHS money.

I suppose my question is What would happen to these patients were homeopathy to be withdrawn? and would the therpaies offered to them as an alternative be any cheaper, or any more effective?

To put the money spent on homeopathy in context. The NHS annual drug budget is £11 BILLION! Of that the annual bill for homeopathic remedies is £152000
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index