U-Know! Forum »
House of Commons Committee advises end to NHS funding of homeopathy

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tingltangl
17 posts

Re: House of Commons Committee advises end to NHS funding of homeopathy
Feb 23, 2010, 23:09
Skeptic: "It is impossible for homeopathic remedies to exert an effect because they are so dilute that they do not contain a single molecule of the origional substance. Therefore they are just sugar pills"

There is a whole branch of science looking at the peculiar properties of ultra diluted solutions. Many scientific peer reviewed published papers demonstrate that a substance which has been diluted and shaken is still measurable way beyond the point that it should be. One of the key papers on this subject is by the physicist Dr Louis Rey, he used very diluted and shaken solutions of lithium chloride and sodium chloride and then analysed them using a technique called thermoluminescence. It showed conclusively that very dilute solutions were measurable when they were diluted beyond the point there should be any particles present.

http://www.vhan.nl/documents/Rey.thermoluminescence.pdf

This entire field of study has been conveniently ignored by anyone sceptical of homeopathy.

Skeptic: "double blind trials show that homeopathy works no better than a placebo"

I`m assuming that this oft repeated line comes for the Shang study published by the lancet in 2005. The authors of the study claimed that they always expected to find that homeopathy was ineffective. Even the author of the lancet admitted that the Shang et al had a considerable bias against homeopathy from the outset! From hundreds of studies only 8 "high quality" trails were selected. The authors failed to include in the study what their selection criteria was, nor what they meant by "high quality". Given this why should i believe that Shang et al were free of confirmation bias and that this is not just "cherry picking"?. The Shang study has since been called into question (I can provbide references if you wish)and yet its conclusion has been held up as the definitive judgement on homeopathy and has become the mantra for the opinionated and ill informed.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index