U-Know! Forum »
two homes

38 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: two homes
Mar 31, 2009, 22:45
Like Merrick said earlier, I don't think there's anything wrong with dual home ownership provided that you do something useful with the extra property and don't just squander it by leaving it empty for three quarters of the year (which you obviously aren't.) I'm a beneficiary of this myself - the flat I live in is owned by my folks but there are two extra bedrooms which they rent out (at less than the market value). I do the contracts and letting in exchange for living there rent free (which is just as well considering the wages I get would barely be enough to pay the monthly rent on a half-decent shared flat in London).

It's only when rich homeowners buy second properties out of sheer greed and barely use them at all that it grates. Obviously very few can afford to do this in the first place, but the fact that that huge (and mostly uninhabited) apartment in Mayfair got squatted by an art collective over the Christmas period draws attention to the fact that such wastage can and does happen.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index