54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: ThEe SuPeRNaTuRaL sPoOkYnEss
Jul 22, 2001, 12:22
Hi Cody,

Since a child I've been fascinated with folklore and tales of old gods/sprites/undines/nix's etc,

Luckily living in the UK there are plenty of backwater places with mothers telling their children to stay away from the old mines or tatns because 'rawhead and bloody bones 'll get you!!', WHOOOO!! beats "please don't go near there or you'll drown" eh? I remember reading of this Rawhead character as a child whilst camping in Dartmoor many years ago, and I could hardly sleep imagining the river Dart to be hiding a skeletal abomination under the bridge in the darkest pool. Aghy!

Of course as soon as I grew out of Enid Blyton along came MR James, Poe, Lovecraft and all the old dusty drawers tales that still delight me. Bogeymen, captures the mind so much more than the 50's vogue for 'the red under the bed'?

(any connection I wonder? Etymology is fascinationing!)

names of different bogies include:

Hedley Kow (mostly harmless shape-shifting trickster)

Picktree Brag: (another shape-shifter)

Nuckelavee (very evil. It came out of the sea, half-man, half-horse. It breathed pestilence and the only escape was to find a stream or river, because it could not cross running water)

Redcap (Scotland. wicked spirit who drenches his hat in blood.)

Vinegar Tom

Tantarabobus (Somerset and Devon)

Bloody-bones

Thrumpin

Tommy Rawhead (water bogie which drowns children)

Tom Dockin (N. Yorkshire. Has iron teeth. Devours naughty children.

Pad-foot (a boggart with enormous eyes and rattling chains)

Old Baker, Old Bendy and Old Lob

Old Shock (East Anglian goblin shaped like a great dog who bothers travellers)

Old Scrat

Churn-milk Peg (self-descriptive Yorkshire spirit. Also smokes a pipe.)

Melsh Dick (A wood demon who protects soft unripe nuts from being gathered by naughty children)

Shriker (skriker), a black spirit dog in Lancashire who howls on the moors and in the woods. To hear or see was a signal of misfortune or doom.

above list from :
http://members.nbci.com/DeAnnaParis/celtic_b.htm
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index