47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: possibilities (part 1)
Jul 15, 2004, 10:35
>I didn't mean to maintain the status quo

Thing is, the private car is simply untenable without oil. But even if theoretically some plant fuel could be found I still think it'd be a waste of the land used to grow the fuel to use it for private cars, or for much of the rest of fuel use (road freighting goods all over that can be produced locally, etc).

>I meant to provide the infrastructure for survival, >especially if this thing happens quickly.

Oil production decreases slowly (an oil field diminishes at about 3% a year). If we decide to stop wasteful use like private cars and passenger planes, and instead use it only for more worthwhile things like fertilisers, farm machinery and emergency services then there's actually fuel for quite a while yet.

>As far as the obliterating land goes, surely this is >an argument for it not against it, as if you had to >obliterate less land

If you mean as a choice between present oil-crops and the theoretical GM one, yes it's less land. But present oil crops are miniscule. The GM would be being grown in addition to all our current food & fibre crops, so it certainly would entail greater cultivation.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index