Sustainable Oil?

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

population
Jul 14, 2004, 22:45
Yes, you've got a point. Overpopulation is behind so many of our problems. Surely in the long run the answer has to be less people, though, not GM. Or am I wrong, and the growth of the world's population at its current rate is sustainable? I must qualify all this by saying that if GM became a life and death issue, if people were dying of starvation and GM was the only answer, then I would advocate the use of GM. Nature has means of population control, and starvation, surely, has to be at the top of that list (ie. if too many people live in one area then there's not enough food for them so people end up going hungry and dying). But nature is red in tooth and claw, and as a human I can only say that I would never see someone starve to death if they could be fed, even if only with GM. Limiting the number of children being born would be a more foresightful way of controlling population, I suppose. But even there there's a small part of me that's uncomfortable with, say, a government dictating the number of children a family is allowed, as China's dictators do. Its a thorny problem, that's for sure.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index