Sustainable Oil?

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Sustainable Oil?
Jul 11, 2004, 15:09
This theory is generally associated with Dr. Thomas Gold of Cornell University (he's professor of astronomy, not geology by the way). It's usually known as the "abiotic" or "abiogenic" theory of the origin of crude oil.

Sadly, however, in my 6 or 7 years of researching this issue, and discussions with a host of well-regarded geologists; I have yet to find a single person in the field who doesn't consider the theory to be a load of codswallop.

Having done no first-hand experimental work, I can only go by what I've been told and have read, but there is a wealth of very hard evidence which seems to confirm the biogenic origin of crude oil (i.e. that it is indeed a fossil fuel).

Mainstream petrogeology views Gold's theories in the same way as mainstream physics views cold fusion (i.e. as something beyond even the fringes of the discipline). As Dr. Colin Campbell quite rightly (in my opinion) asks... if Gold's theories were true, then why have we never found one single example of an oil-well that replenishes itself from below? In all the wells we have drilled... not one.

Of course, just because something is beyond the fringes now doesn't mean that it won't, one day, become mainstream. But it's hugely improbable.

(PS: I really don't want to sound like I'm denouncing every alternative energy source that gets proposed. It's just that I've been seeking them out for a long time now, and have researched all of the ones that I'm aware of. Always looking out for new possibilities though).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index