Sustainable Oil?

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: possibilities (part 1)
Jul 14, 2004, 21:45
Yeah, me too. I'm also in the "no" camp if the suggestion is to use GM crops to keep our fleet of cars on the road. That's the sort of plan which - if taken seriously and implemented (or an attempt was made to do so) - would signal for once and for all the iredeemable stupidity of modern humanity.

The question becomes more fuzzy the day that some laboratory delivers clear proof that their corn, for instance, uses half the fertiliser and pesticides (no *really* does, not just claims to) is less damaging to the soil, gives twice the yield and remains fresher for longer after harvest (allowing for longer distribution chains in a slower world).

For me, *that* is when the GM debate suddenly becomes relevant. For me, *that* is when we need to ask questions about the feasibility of field trials, and whether we want to take the risk. But - despite the claims of the GM lobby - we're quite a way off that sadly. And I say "sadly", because whichever way we choose, *that* would be a debate worth having.

I don't have an automatic "no" stance on GM. I'm not against transgenics on principle or anything. But I do think we should demand that major, demonstrable social benefits (and not economic benefits to corporate interests) will be delivered; beyond all but the most slender of doubts; before we head down such a precarious path.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index