Sustainable Oil?

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: possibilities
Jul 14, 2004, 17:58
>If there isn't enough land to grow biodiesel for all our vehicles, there's no way there's enough shit to power them.

A couple of things spring to mind:

1) We don't need all our vehicles, the current rate of consumption is totally unnecessary and that's what's brought us to this unhappy scenario
2) We already have a centralised infrastructure for dealing with human poop (assuming the "goodness" hasn't gone out of it by the time it reaches a treatment works
3) If a bit of everything (non fossil electric, methane/hydrogen from poop, biodiesel/expensive real diesel) could support enough for a basic transport infrastructure isn't it worthwhile to investigate it? Diversity rather than a "replacement" for oil. I always think of those wartime rationing posters - "Is your journey really necessary?". If we can't fly down to Rio for the weekend or have a burn up down to the drive through at Burger King it seems a small sacrifice.

I mean, what's the alternative, we just sit here crying until the end of the world? NB That's not a personal attack on anyone! I just mean there may be a window of opportunity between now and when the doo-doo hits the fan as we don't know how many years it will be, and if people just say "that's it, we're doomed" then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If a technology doesn't work now, that doesn't mean it's not worthy of investigation. For instance, Warwick University have recently managed to double hydrogen yields extracted from poop compared to the prior techniques up to 40% efficiency. Also, maybe getting rid of all those smelly BMWs could be a positive step in the long term, although I realise much of the future pressure on oil supply will come from the developing world.

Another random thoughts: anyone remember "Roger And Me" by Michael Moore? You would have thought he would have supported the invasion of Iraq to help keep Mid-West 'Murca building those gas huffers.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index