Sustainable Oil?

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: possibilities (part 2)
Jul 14, 2004, 17:29
And to TomBo's earlier question... "but what can we do about it?" I accept that I'm not offering a solution. Unfortunately Tom, I don't have a solution. What I do have are a number of suggestions that might allow some form of controlled economic deceleration, which might - in turn - soften the energy crisis. However, these suggestions require *mass participation*. They require complete social upheaval. And any first step towards that is getting people aware of the problem.

Quite a few years ago it was me, Jay Hanson, M. King Hubbert and Colin Campbell. We were the only four people in the world who knew about this impending crisis. And M. King was already dead! (That is - of course - a statement about how it *felt*, not how it *was*, at the time). Today it's getting reported in less and less vague language in the mainstream media. How much of that shift in awareness is because of the people I forced to listen to me (or read my torrent of letters)? Probably none at all. But you get the point, I'm sure.

What can individuals do? Get away from cities. Live near the coast. Learn how to grow potatoes, catch fish and get on with your neighbours. Live sustainably. Adopt a couple of kids and raise them in that environment with a respect for nature and other people. Granted; not easy. But the worthwhile things often aren't.

I'm not in a position to do that right now. I hope to be, some day in the not too distant future. And until that day I guess I'll just have to continue with the dubious efficacy of my "raise awareness" strategy. With a bit of luck, if enough people wake up in time and first demand, then accept, a reduction in consumer gratification, in return for a reduction in work hours; then I won't have to flee the collapse of civilisation... along with the millions of others who'll be looking for isolated spots by the coast to catch fish and grow potatoes.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index