OMG!!

46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Prehistory
Oct 22, 2003, 17:50
>suspect that is why there is on here an interest in >prehistoric culture - cause all we can see is their >passion and enthusiasm - we won't ever be in a >position to judge their specific beliefs or morality - >it's a vague kind of spirituality and non->threatening morally - won't ever tell us what to do

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's not why I'm interested in prehistory.

The major part of it for me is that it is so recent and yet so gone. We can go to the same places and touch the stones they put in place, but the whole fascination is that I have no clear idea what it was about. It reminds me of the temporaryness of cultures.

The centre of Leeds is City Square. The conurbation stretches off for miles in every direction. At the edge of City Square is a blue plaque marking the place where the West Bar once sttod, the marker for the boundary of the city until about 200 years ago. The plaque tells us that there, in the exact centre of the city, was the edge until very recently, that scarcely a building could be seen west of there before 1780.

It is only in the last decade that humans have become mostly city dwellers.

Like those facts, the ancient sites show that things have only recently become this way. And that's a reminder that they won't be this way for long.

I don't see the neolithic site builders as having 'got it right' or being some lost golden age. They were fuckers like us who had to remould the world to fit their whims and beliefs. They were the first proper environmentally damaging humans, the first neurotics.

there's truth in what you say insofaras their belief systems were necessarily more elemental and earth-based, which is a better basis for spirituality than our belief in technology and consumption, and they weren't on a path that will wipe out up to a third of species on earth within a century just because they loved shiny toys and cosmetics and seven types of lettuce all year round. But that's not the same as thinking it was necessarily all great for them.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index