OMG!!

46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: OMG!!
Oct 20, 2003, 16:09
You're right about the lack of vicious name-calling, but insults don't have to be of the 'commie fag' variety to have effect. One of the great things about HH is the way people of differing opinions will engage intelligently with one another. People even change their minds and climb down readily. Most message boards are simply arenas for chest beating and as such don't help anyone. To let that sort of thing go on actively discourages people who may have good points but don't like being insulted.

It's really important that we preserve the strong repsect here on HH, and that means pulling people up if they get aggressive or insulting.

We've lost good people from HH for precisely that reason, and it's important to me that we don't lose any more, so in picking people up on it I'm not getting my knickers in a twist so much as preserving the good space and showing others that it is safe to express their ideas sensibly without fear of aggressive derision.

Duckbreath certainly did use insulting terms. To respond to someone's measured post by saying that the ideas 'aren't borne out of political philosophy, history or psychological sociology but a mixture of cynicism and 'revolutionary chic' ' is straightforwardly insulting. The reference to 'pseudo political philosphers' is also clearly a sideswipe.

However, our venerable Duck quickly and graciously apologised for any insult caused and went back to intelligent discussion, so I didn't see any point in picking over exactly what was insulting and why.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index