'Do we really need the Moon?'

20 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: 'Do we really need the Moon?'
Feb 06, 2011, 14:21
tiompan wrote:
If a large object moves a metre and it's distance from an observer is 500 metres it won't amount to much unless youre a sharpshooter .
The standstill is every 18.6 years but it is not a single event like a solstice it takes time the moon appears in the extreme poition for a few months but the actual real extreme point may well be when it is not even in the sky i.e it could be below the horizon or obscured by clouds or in a less than obvious phase .

I obviously misheard 18 as 80....my mistake completely.
I didn't hear mention that the rate of spiralling out of sync had been constant since it started it's outward journey....was it stated?...Surely as the moon gets further and further away from the Earth's gravity...it's spiralling motion would create a bit of increase in velocity.

Aside from all that where did I read that the Earth once had two moons?...The smaller of the two was claimed to be the meteorite which(allegedly)caused dinosaur extiction in this same report. No sources or actual proof for this were ever quoted....but apparently some science said"it was a possibilty",needless to say I wasn't convinced...I need an awful lot of persuading .

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index