Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 01, 2011, 22:01
'Do we really need the Moon?'
Feb 01, 2011, 21:40
This hits the wow factor ... for me anyway. A tantalising few seconds of the lunar standstill at Callanish.
On now, from 9.00pm, BBC2 - presented by Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Re: 'Do we really need the Moon?'
Feb 01, 2011, 22:35
shit, missed it. watching that gypsy wedding thing and typing a message to Common Era.

yeah' we do need the moon. cos as our jimi who art in heaven hendrix be thy name once wrote 'the moon turns the tides gently gently away'

i'll watch it on i player over the weekend... or even tomorrow night, i know there's one night in the week when the telly lies dormant!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 02, 2011, 08:49
Feb 02, 2011, 08:47
Shelby Mustang wrote:
shit, missed it. watching that gypsy wedding thing and typing a message to Common Era.

yeah' we do need the moon. cos as our jimi who art in heaven hendrix be thy name once wrote 'the moon turns the tides gently gently away'

i'll watch it on i player over the weekend... or even tomorrow night, i know there's one night in the week when the telly lies dormant!

Aah, yes Jimi - am taking friend to see Hamsters (for birthday) next week so looking forward to hearing some Jimi jams ...

Goffick, that iphone of yours is misbehaving 'cos it missed this one posted last night. No worries!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yb5jp
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 02, 2011, 11:27
tjj wrote:
Goffick, that iphone of yours is misbehaving 'cos it missed this one posted last night. No worries!

Nah, mate! When I posted it (last night), it was cos it wasn't mentioned in the forum yet! Must have been usurped! ;) I dunno what time I posted it but there deffo wasn't one here already. Doesn't matter tho! Worse things happen...

And I don't have an iPhone - I'm not middle classed enough... :D Mine's loads better than an iPhone. ;)

G x
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 02, 2011, 12:32
goffik wrote:
tjj wrote:

Nah, mate! When I posted it (last night), it was cos it wasn't mentioned in the forum yet! Must have been usurped! ;) I dunno what time I posted it but there deffo wasn't one here already. Doesn't matter tho! Worse things happen...

And I don't have an iPhone - I'm not middle classed enough... :D Mine's loads better than an iPhone. ;)

G x

Hey Goff you're still not using one of the ex army house bricks with a 10' aerial attached to it are you :D
megadread
1202 posts

Feb 04, 2011, 00:55
Sanctuary wrote:
goffik wrote:
tjj wrote:

G x

Hey Goff you're still not using one of the ex army house bricks with a 10' aerial attached to it are you :D

I still have my first ever mobile, and it's just as you describe.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 04, 2011, 08:45
megadread wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
goffik wrote:
tjj wrote:

G x

I still have my first ever mobile, and it's just as you describe.

Yay..when I first got into all of this Geoff me and a few mates went to an Army & Navy stores at St Mary's in Southampton (is it still there do you know Goff) and bought some army radio 'handsets' with headphones. Hellish things they were full of small valves and must have cost a packet then to produce. We got them up and running with the help of a radio shack guy and they were really good. Had a range of about ten miles on open land and powered by a heap of batteries or the dynamo type pack that came with them.
Those were the days!! Anyone else use them?
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 04, 2011, 10:53
This programme indicated that the moon is spiralling further away from the earth (slowly but surely)...yet I remember being taught that the gravitational pull of the earth was bringing it closer(a half inch a year they said...so by that reckoning it must be a full 2 feet closer than then).

I would've liked to talk to the presenter.....there were some niggling questions left unanswered...or not even touched on, sometimes they were just a passing comment then never mentioned again....not a good show really...too much blinding with possible and probable scientific references and CGI tomfoolery(if they can create the birth of the earth and the moon they can just as simply fiddle a lunar standstill)...as enlightening as a shampoo commercial without the dubious charms of Cheryl Cole IMO.
Mind you there was a repeat of the Time Team Cornish fougou excavations...where dowsers were recruited to show their abilities where they found bugger all(I might add they didn't even find the cables or water pipes underground)...
Visit The Tealing Souterrain to see a decent example(sans roof) for yourself...FREE!
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Feb 05, 2011, 13:21
Yup! The moon is indeed moving away 'bout 1CM a year i think. Must make life difficult for archaeoastronomers having to factor in all these little cosmic shifts when calculating what's what and where.
Don't watch much tele, so often miss out on the interesting stuff like this documentary, gonna go watch it right now! Cheers for the heads up.
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 05, 2011, 14:42
Whether the moon is spiralling in or out of orbit....even by as little as 1cm/annum......this would still knock all the positions at, for example, Callanish out of sync...yet they all still seem to be perfectly aligned and doing the job they were assembled for.....but no bugger...scientist or mystic explains this anomaly.....annoys me no end.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index