Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Re: Another million lines
Dec 19, 2010, 14:26
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Yes, that's it, thank goodness I wasn't lying!

BTW about you wondering if there was another Sanctuary there I notice the title is the Snakes Tail so he obviously thought there wasn't one to be found, for whatever that's worth.

What do you think about the stones? (I suppose they're the Longstone ones). I realise my idea they were a tourist destination is probably wrong, it's just that tracksa on each side would be natural for when two carts met each other.

I think they must be the Longstones, well two of them anyway, because nothing else is shown along the 'trackway' in that section is it. And looking at them carefully I believe two appear to be set on one side and two on the other albeit with a stone missing between each one and the track maybe just shown wider by Stukeley to make it stand out more.
And the 'track' running straight up off the avenue I suppose could take the line of the modern-day road leading to Avebury Trusloe don't you think? Its position looks about right considering it bounds the field that houses the Longstones at the end of the short lane from the A361.
Well the possibility of a 'Sanctuary' at the end of the BA was pure speculation on my part fuelled by the presence of so many burial mounds around the Fox Covert area. It reminds me so much of the real Sanctuary area without the Ridgeway. And of course if there was one and it had been destroyed by the time S was in the area I don't suppose there was a need for him to pass comment.
One other thing. What do you make of the 'bump' to the far left of the drawing? Do you think that's meant to represent the bank of the Great Circle? Can't think what else it would be otherwise.

On the subject of Snake-related place names, I see there is a "Snake's Lane Plantation" on the Avebury side of Yatesbury, and presumably a Snakes Lane to go with it? Be interesting to know when that particular name appeared on maps - I'm sure someone must have looked at the Tithe Maps (if there are some) of the area for interesting field and place names?

As for the "bump", don't know what else it could be, there aren't any obvious hills there.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index