135 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Another million lines
Dec 15, 2010, 10:28
nigelswift wrote:

The truth of studying sight lines is, I think, that we tend to look for them within structures that are the mere skeletal remains of the original landscapes - sans flesh, crops, trees and most of all, a possible forest of long-gone timber monuments and structures. We're guessing about connections that are most probably no longer visible.

I'm glad you said that Nigel as that is my belief also. It must be quite obvious to even the most casual of observers that the Avebury area was the centre of something huge in its heyday and there must be more still yet to find from possibly earlier versions of what now remains. Not to labour on the point but my idea of the complex as I see it would have seen earlier structures of timber and smaller mounds and ditches leading up to the final build. If it had a singular meaning (which is my belief) then it would have taken so long to reach and complete the final phase that I see no reason whatsoever why an initial complex would not have been built of easily obtainable materials to get the thing kick-started so it could be 'used' almost immediately and completed as and when time allowed. In the meantime the belief in what it was could be put to good use.
The Great Circle formerly had a shallower ditch and bank, the Sanctuary formerly had wooden posts, Silbury was built in stages...the clues are all there to be seen. Could the stone Avenues have been in timber originally also?
More recently the Palisades have appeared, Silbaby is drawing attention to itself. I wonder just how much more would be discovered if they threw everything they've got on the Avebury landscape whilst it is still on the whole agricultural land and accessible (with permission). We live in hope.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index