The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Time Team R.I.P. ?

145 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mascot
113 posts

Re: Time Team R.I.P. ?
Jan 15, 2010, 14:59
Google on it's own is not a recommended approach to anything (as I keep telling my youngest). Problem with all search engines is depth vs breadth - trying to go deep on any subject with google alone is a fairly fruitless task. As Google gets more and more commercial I despair of every possible form of search words being construed into an opportunity to take me to an online retailer - it's days a surely numbered (for research purposes) if it carries on like this........ :-(

Re South Tyne, I know Keys to the Past doesn't cover all of that area (limited to Northumberland and Durham, doesn't cover Cumbria) but any sites that are known about are usually on there and it does cover quite a bit of the area. There are sites there, just not all on TMA. User Interface around maps and search is a bit naff but depth of coverage is there.

I was in a similar situation in that I felt that TMA was lacking coverage for the coastal regions of Northumberland. As that's the bit of Northumberland I visit the most I started going through the Keys to the Past site (plus BRAC, rockart, google, etc) to find sites not on TMA and add them. This was the process that brought me to add the Howick Hillfort site for KttP, then visit the site to add field notes and then get lucky finding a the "new" panel at Sea House Farm - this has been passed on to Northumberland Archeology Dept and if it checks out could be a new cup mark in quite an unusual area.

When I have a few free hours I trawl around non-TMA sites looking for other sites to add in coastal Northumberland (added 25 or so, so far).

If South Tyne is your area of interest why not have a go as well? - there are plenty of prehistoric sites on key to the past that I'm not that interested in (outside my area) and are not currently on TMA.

Having the sites on TMA and hence on Google Earth makes looking for "missing sites" to research a lot easier than using local government mapping sites.

Cheers

Mac
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index