145 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Ripping Time Teams
Jan 10, 2010, 15:12
StoneGloves wrote:
"Time team started life as an idea that came out a series of four programmes called Time Signs broadcast in 1991. Produced and directed by Time Team series producer Tim Taylor, they were presented by Mick Aston, who had previously discussed the idea of devising a popular archaeology programme with Tony Robinson. So when a pilot Time Team programme was made in October 1992, it was Mick`s suggestion that Tony should present it. The pilot episode was never screened, but the idea was good enough to persuade Channel 4 to comission a four programme series of Time Team, which was filmed in 1993, and broadcast the following year. The rest as they say, is history... or should that be archaeology".

Notches are very interesting phenomena, it would seem. Particularly when they've been enhanced artificially. That would leave a distinct archaeological profile, one would think. I don't think anyone's looked for it yet, but ... When there was a circle or something, with an open featureless horizon, then there may have been wooden or temporary foresights, that have lately been removed. In the pennines there was, until recently, a habit of making drystone standing stone-shaped piles of stone, that could have done the trick perfectly. They could easily have been adapted into wall during inclosure, without leaving a trace. But those notches are long-lived.

I'll start downloading 2009 Time Team in a day or two allegedly. I claim to have found a henge that isn't (mine's rectangular) and the currog programme sounds interesting.

No notches have been found to have been altered ,there was the case of a possible platform at Kintraw which didn't stand up to scrutiny or make sense in terms of the sight lines , the whole astro thing there fell apart .Wooden markers seem very reasonable when working out sight lines .whether they were MPPed into stone has never been shown afaik , i.e. excavatation of a standing stone with post hole in socket , that would be interesting .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index