Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Time Team R.I.P. ?
Jan 10, 2010, 14:42
FourWinds wrote:
tiompan wrote:
The astro bit was done in a hurry and a possibility became a certainty in a few minutes .

Yeah. Some things have a habit of doing that on TV.

tiompan wrote:
Standing stones to notches are dodgy at the best of times but this one didn't "work" anyway .

Not sure the dodgy tag can be applied with a broad brush. Everything is suspect until proven/observed anyway, but once observed it is fact whether intentional or otherwise. Until then they have to be taken as iffy (even if likely from preliminary observation). The intentionality of many alignments will never be established without the presence of a second marker. For me a notch can be a second marker, though. You have three points in a line: the stone, the notch and the sun. When these happen on 'random' dates it can cause a problem, but then you have to look at instances such as Labbamologa church in Cork. Here the original church does not face due east, but points to the sun rise on the Saint's Day. A stone/notch/sun rise alignment could just mark someone's birthday.

I assume someone checked this one out to know that it doesn't work? I'm only repeating my question because you have stated categorically that it's wrong. We both agree that Time Team jumped the gun in declaring it to be so. As you're being so definite I assume you're stating from observed fact.

Thom was an early proponent of the notch idea ,how many of his notches arre now accepted .It is very subjective , horizons are full of notches and dips .There was a recent irish example where a stone circle was "shown " to have all the important alignments indicated from it's centre when the horizon was a typical moorland with little to suggest anyone would notice anything significant in the topography . Single standing stones by their nature are dodgy without any provenace regardless of likely astro alignments .

The person who was rushed into suggesting it in the first place I know categorically to have said it was wrong .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index