Time Team R.I.P. ?

145 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 14, 2010, 17:19
Re: Time Team R.I.P. ?
Jan 14, 2010, 17:10
Dodge I tend to think newer books have only the older books to quote nowadays, and take what they feel like from it. The older books were written by people who went out and collected the folklore themselves, so they were in contact with the primary source. After all the business with McPherson and the Ossianic collection he made, or invented in some cases, people were more wary of any bad reporting of sources, though it still went on.

All in all I do prefer the older books. Newer books take the phrase "may be linked to older goddess worship" and quote the book as a reference saying "she was the goddess of edinburgh" for instance. For a newer book I'd usually be looking for something academic and ethical in its choice of phrasing and content, like those released by the School of Scottish Studies. They tend to cross reference stories with known facts and place them within the folklore classification system too. So I guess it depends on the book is the answer to the watering down or improving question.

The bias of the authors of older books tends to be less, or blindingly obvious. As in the case of one Reverend writer who wrote that the druids were well known for sacrificing, beautiful, helpless, nubile, young virgins on the standing stones (boy he was giving his mind a treat huh). Their mistakes in etymology, or archeaological guess work tends to be obvious too.

And of course, most are out of copyright and free online now. And so can be cut and pasted as quotes if you are adding stuff to stone pages.

Goffik - not so much a conversation as a public opportunity to be corrected or mocked. Sorry if it seemed like a private chat. Oh dear but I do seem to get the etiquette wrong all the time huh? Anyway, I posted some water lore books I'd recommend on your thread about the Wells O' Wearie too.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index