79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Ye Lord and Lady of Yatesbury - in a field near yo
Jun 17, 2009, 17:36
Littlestone wrote:
As I say, impressive by any standards, and I'd go as far as to say an art form if nothing else (in fact not unlike the transient creations of Tibetan sand mandalas).

An interesting idea (there are also the butter, sand and ice sculptures that fall into the same category of transient art). Putting aside the arguments of who dunnit, how and at what cost, the better circles certainly fall into the category of a transient art form (if nothing else). And if a graffiti artist (by definition someone who defaces other people's property) can have their work recognised as an art form (and have it elevated to municipal status) I see no reason why the creators of crop circles (the better ones) shouldn't be afforded the same distinction.

There's something very unselfish about transient art - time spent on creating something that the (often anonymous) creator knows will last only a few days... or even only a few hours.

I agree with your point about transient art being legitimate form of artistic expression but there is actually something selfish about destroying crops .... unless the farm owner has agreed in advance to that use of his field. The creators of this art form would not get away with it in Lincolnshire where the massive farms are predominantly owned by large supermarkets.

I am wondering if the small microlight airfields around Wiltshire play a part in commissioning the CCs as they must make money flying people over them and, if offered such a flight, I certainly would not refuse.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index