Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jun 17, 2009, 00:19
Re: Ye Lord and Lady of Yatesbury - in a field near yo
Jun 17, 2009, 00:02
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, I started with a John Michell book when TonyH was rolling fat ones on his Blind Faith album cover - the Oz Schoolkids issue was produced around that time too. The circles are beyond land art. I used to make land art - maybe I still do - but nothing like those enormous things. PeteG is being a little economical with the truth, as he knows about Gerald Hawkins' work on deriving mathematical theorems from crop circle designs. Without being pedantic here's a link to an abstract from a scientific journal ( http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a746876400 )- and I just hope this link works. Belongs to the twentieth century? (You mean like moonlight does, or rust?)

Belongs to the twentieth century? (You mean like moonlight does, or rust)..... I love this sentence, and yes it has given me food for thought but without wishing to be confrontational in anyway I think you are playing word games. Moonlight belongs to the moon and the universe; rust belongs to metal and the elements. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit thick when it comes to mathematical theorems ..... for heaven's sake, I only just found out about the concept of phenomenology in relation to archaeology - I always thought it just to do with religious images that 'weep blood'.

Certain 'phenomena' (it is my word of the week) do belong to the 20th century, for example UFOs over Warminster; the Age of Aquarius and all the New Age stuff that goes with it. Crop circles too, seem to be part of all that .... summer escapism in mystical Wiltshire. I live in Wiltshire, not in upmarket Marlborough or up-and-coming Devizes but the diverse and industrious town of Swindon that sits in the northernmost corner of the county. I go out to Avebury and its surrounding landscape to escape the speeding traffic and social problems that all large working towns have to contend with. To tell you the truth I don't give a toss one way or another about crop circles so long as they don't turn into 'land vandalism' destroying crops that may otherwise be used to to produce food.

We are after all moving towards the second decade of the 21st century with massive national debt and impending savage cuts to public services. Lets stay real.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index