95 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Calling RombaldII
Jun 19, 2005, 22:53
Helloah RombaldII,

Whilst I can appreciate that the carvings on these stones can be ambiguous, and that as such, it can be helpful to try to highlight them in some way, I also share Fitzcoraldo's misgivings about the use of chalk to do so.

As far as I'm aware, the jury is still out regarding the effects of chalk in terms of potential damage to carvings. But even supposing it's not damaging, if you have any qualms about chalking, want to share your own interpretation of the motifs and aren't wanting to do all that drawing stuff, you could try a bit of water and a soft paintbrush.

Paint the designs on and then photograph them. It seems like most of the stones you're looking at are fairly pale, so a bit of judiciously applied water should bring those patterns out a treat, without leaving any trace after a half an hour or so.

Whilst you might think that the chances of anyone lugging themselves all the way up there to look at a vaguely carved rock are remote, GPS or no GPS, you'd be surprised. Lotsa folk look at what's posted on tma without leaving any sign of having done so (i.e. posting stuff), some of them even then get up and go a-wandering amongst the stones. Damage/aesthetic issues aside, when someone does follow in your footsteps to a bit of obscure rock art, it's kinda nicer for them to find an un-chalked stone, allowing them to arrive at their own interpretation of the motifs carved up it.

I'm sure you get my point. That's my half-a-bronze-oxhide's worth, so I'll shut me trap.

Regards,

Hob
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index