The Fylingdales Stone »
Fire reveals moor's stone legacy

216 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: They've done WHAT ???!!
Dec 22, 2004, 09:17
I suppose the fact it's been under the peat for a while is the thing that's been protecting it from the elements, so presumably to pop it back under there isn't going to increase the rate of any damage. Or at least that's what you'd hope, wouldn't you, that this is the conclusion after it's been extensively discussed and argued over by informed intelligent people. Oh I don't know. It's hard to separate your personal feelings from this.

Aren't there hundreds of examples of rock art out on those moors? It's only hard-core rock art fans that tramp miles to find this art and sometimes keep it peat-free.. they'll make a big effort to see it. If other people want to take a quick look in a museum and if the measurements have been taken meticulously with a lazer, the carvings can be recreated elsewhere, so why bother moving the original stone?

If left to their own devices out there the peat will naturally develop over and around stones. I'm not sure why this particular piece couldn't be left to go the same way, especially if it's in a remote location. If we worry about people going to the lengths to nick it, then we have to lie awake worrying about every bit of rock art out there - or move it all into a museum. Either the location is being kept secret(ish) in which case surely it's safe to be exposed. Or otherwise if people do know where it is, they can find it even if they have to scrabble about for it, and it's nickable (if you're a miserable bastard). I'm naive about how often stuff gets stolen. There seems to be a lot of rock art recorded on TMA but I suppose much of it is stuck to huge immovable lumps of rock.

I've not seen that much rock art - the spirals at little meg and the footprints from the Pool Farm cist spring to mind. The first were in situ (ok, so maybe not in their exact original position, but in the general vicinity) and the footprints have been moved to Bristol City art gallery and museum. I stuck my paws on both. It's a purely personal thing but when it comes to the 'stick your paws on them' connection, I'd rather see the things outside where they belong every time. It was (yes, sadly) thrilling to see the footprints for the first time, but compared to how I'd have felt if I'd seen them where they were originally put... perhaps How Rhiannon Feels isn't the point.

It all reminds me of the conservation of some rare animal: do we stick it in a zoo? Do we let it get on with it? Do we risk some nutter tracking it down and shooting it?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index