What is a Henge?

116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BlueGloves
BlueGloves
858 posts

Unhenged
Oct 27, 2003, 08:00
The archaeological definitions currently exclude anything other the circular. I have a big bee in my bonnet about this thing - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/20521 - which clearly has a bank and a perimeter and what could be a sludged up ditch. Last year I thought it was in isolation when its correct official label would have been 'Long Mortuary Enclosure' or 'Cigar-shaped Enclosure'. Because of the bank I called it a henge.

A little more observation over this summer has shown it to be inside a large diameter, small-stoned, double ring. When new, from the air, it would have appeared like a no entry road sign - a circle with a diagonal. So, technically, it's now just part of a stone circle. I believe Castle Rigg has an internal structure slightly similar. In isolation it looks a little like the Hunebedden or the Quadrilature near Carnac.

The rowdy farmer took a digger to one corner of it in September and uprooted a couple of cornerstones. (His hired bull has more intelligence, frankly). The County Archaeology Unit (again), based fifty miles away, and with two thirds of the Roman Wall to look after, haven't been anywhere near. I'm to ask them for funds to tidy up the site next year.

!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index