The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Tombo's weblogs...

173 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: the view from outside
Sep 25, 2003, 16:25
Can I put my twopennorth in for what it's worth?
I feel in agreement with Tombo's statement that
"the word megarak means, to those who know nothing of megaraks or megaliths, "anorak" or "nerd" or somesuch"

This is really my beef. Whatever the activities and motivations of the self-styled megaraks, the implication to the outside world - through association with the word anorak - is that visiting megaliths is tantamount to twitching or trainspotting. Regardless of whether we know this to be true or not, I personally believe that such a label can do nothing positive for the outside perception of our common interest.

Remember the furore over the Big Brother thing at the white horse at Uffington? We all wrote letters and emails to EH etc. We wanted to be taken seriously. I'm sure anyone can see (re Time Team etc) that it's hard enough to be taken seriously as Mere Amateurs by Proper Archaeologists.

I just wonder whether promoting the word is altogether wise. A group of informed intelligent people passionate about prehistoric sites can surely do so much good for their preservation and protection. I would hate to think that through promotion of admittedly a light-hearted label this underlying concern and seriousness would be dismissed by People With Influence. I don't want my letter reporting my legitimate worries about a site to be dismissed as the ramblings of an anorak. Maybe EH NT and suchlike will take notice or not regardless.

Whatever. I just maintain my right not to be called and not to call myself a 'megarak', and I'm sorry if I offend.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index