Tombo's weblogs...

173 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: you don't have to!
Sep 24, 2003, 15:57
I do think this is down purely to semantics.

I was not saying that it takes 'many' to make a god. One person can have their own god.

I was just telling a story to give the idea of what I said. If I'd said the tribe arrived by camel, would you have asked if I really thought it took a camel to make a god? :-)

You're being too picky on my details. I am (poorly) trying to give an impression of what I believe.

I suppose if the offerings were never repeated or the person didn't go back to notice that the offering worked then it could be said that the 'thing in the cave' was a god for a moment, but then ceased to be, but I don't subscribe to that.

If the noise had happened again on the re-visit several things could have happened. Someone could have said "That's just a flatulent bear" or "That's bill practicing his flugelhorn on the other side of the hill." If that had have happened then the mystery would be gone. But would the noise still have been from a god, albeit briefly?

Personally I don't think so, but it was 'cave spirit' in the head of the beholder (behearer?)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index