Tombo's weblogs...

173 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Tombo's weblogs...
Sep 22, 2003, 21:16
I, too, delight in TomBo's weblogs and somehow I missed 'The Anti-Megarak Manifesto'.

I have just sat and re-read it and despite having a pile of stuff to do this evening, was utterly absorbed in his arguments and thoughts.

I wondered - am I a megarak? And do I care if I am one? Initially i thought: 'oh shit! I am one!' and ended up knowing for sure that I am not. For although I like to visit ancient sites and revel in logic and a quest for 'the truth' and am not religious in any way, it is impossible to be an artist and NOT to be spiritual, for it is ALL about imagination, conjecture, making the unreal real and allowing the world into the reality I see in my mind.

When TomBo says: <I>...You have to ask yourself how many great ideas have never seen the light of day because of fear of the world's scorn. I personally have so much more admiration for a person like Dames, who is prepared to put his ass on the line in this way, than I do for the archaeologist who details the exact position of every stone but is unwilling to make any speculation as to the reasons why they were raised in the first place. The non-speculating archaeologist (and megarak) is only refusing to speculate in order to defend his or her ego...</I> it really struck a chord.

Yes, it's bloody scary exposing one's soul on paper as i do when I paint ancient sites and other stuff, but I try to remember the words of Picasso: 'art is a lie which makes us realise the truth.'

Long live imagination, indeed! More essays, please TomBo!
Hugs
j
x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index