Tombo's weblogs...

173 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Anthroposophising
Sep 23, 2003, 15:41
Steiner has often said in other lectures what he says on page 74, "Every view can be a true view, if it faithfully reproduces what is observed." This came to me in an insight I formulated as Matherne's Rule #6 some twenty years ago (before I read Steiner): All Meanings Are True. (AMAT). Everyone has a perspective that they look at things from, and if they proclaim a truth from their perspective, one can only say, "I do believe you are right." But there are many possible perspectives and Steiner uses the metaphor of a tree to make his point:

[page 73-74] But the human way of knowing is not such that the nature of things can be imparted all at once; it is more like painting or photographing a tree from a particular side. The picture gives the full truth of what the tree looks like from a certain point of view, but, if we select a different point of view, the picture becomes quite different. Only the combined effect of a series of pictures from various points of view can give an overall idea of the tree. "

I think that sums up uch better what I was trying to say about the 'measurer' being interpretive therefore (but not wholly) subjective.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index