48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 1/3/03
Mar 02, 2003, 23:08
Faust - the Wumme Years
Continuous playing of all the CDs in this wondrous box set has framed the last couple of weeks. Amazing, wonderful stuff. Can’t believe it’s taken me this long to get into them. Can’t get enough. More to follow on these in weeks to come I expect.

Brain Donor - Too Freud…
Splendid, especially the Live CD. I tend to agree with the folks who’ve said that the studio CD sounds more like a collection than a gen-u-wine work of itself though.

Comets on Fire - Field Recordings from the Sun
If it wasn’t for Faust this would have been way at the top of the pile. This has kept me sane at work, despite convincing my colleagues that I am totally hatstand. Spacey, loud AND snotty, what more could you ask?

Noisemakers 2000
If Popel Vooje hadn’t asked about this I would never have discovered that I still had a handful of these left…and putting it on again now it sounds far better than I remembered : the Pins psychedelia, the Irritants whipping beats (not to mention Anna’s most spookily amazing vocal on A Mothers Love - gripping stuff), Fluid Power Society’s proggysplodgeness, Lord Lucan’s mumbling groaning buzzing throbbing Rotormotor…the Organ as it Rusts going where no music has gone before…a couple of years on and this sounds way ahead of it’s time - I was a bit taken aback. If you want a copy, get in quick… Check the order form on http://www.noiseweb.co.uk (advertisment break over). Mind you, you can listen to the whole thing on Noiseweb for nothin.

Lou Reed - Transformer
Haven’t listened to this for ages. Camp glam classic. Has one of the only credible bah bah song this side of JC with Andy’s Chest. Beautifully brittle and sad and proud…David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Klaus Voorman… nuff said. Despite the over exposure of Perfect Day, this LP deserves listening to as a whole…it is a concept in many ways - oooh my, what shall we wear? Oooh my and who really cares? Better than Cabaret.

Television - Marquee Moon
twangy guitar heaven. I like Adventure even more, but I know that that puts me firmly in the minority. My eyes are like telescopes…

Kraftwerk - the Man Machine
A welcome revisit to this one - what a classic! The whole of Squid Mansions seem to enjoy this one. I’d forgotten the humour inherent in this CD…the whole retro-robot thing has stood the test of time pretty well, and still sounds like it ought to be on the soundtrack of a 1950s sci-fi B-movie. Or a spoof one anyway…

Bob Dylan - the "Royal Albert Hall Concert"
Actually recorded in Manchester, this showcases the schizoid state of Dylan at the time - one acoustic CD and one CD with his band. Fantastic visceral performance, and surprisingly good job on the remastering. Dylan sounds brilliantly confrontational too - so good to hear someone takin the p!ss out of the audience (who are baying for his blood at times to judge from the slow handclaps on the "electric" CD) instead of the usual "Hello London" tosh.

Brian Eno - Music for Films
Had to listen to this really after the debate on it in another thread. Icy vibrant beauty. I love it to bits. Listening to this may colour things I record for NM3, as the pristine brevity and purity of some of these tracks is a breath of fresh air. Lovely.

Roy Harper - HQ
The Game is one of my faves…and Chris Spedding on Grown Ups Are Just Silly Children…a joy, despite the crass song…plus Bill Bruford and John Paul Jones. Rather splendid line up, what? Hallucinating Light and Forget Me Not are amongst my personal favourites. You can skip "When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease" though, very Olde Englande by the village green thang.

Peace and Noise!
Squiddo
x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index